雙語悅讀《木偶奇遇記》第13天

Chapter 9

See Pinocchio hurrying off

to school with his new A-B-C book under his arm! As he walked along, his brain was busy planning hundreds of wonderful things, building hundreds of castles in the air. Talking to himself, he said:

傑佩託看著匹諾曹夾著他的新課本急匆匆地上學去了!他一邊走著,一邊浮想聯翩,腦子裡描繪了許許多多的空中樓閣。他自言自語地說:

"In school today, I'll learn to read, tomorrow to write, and the day after tomorrow I'll do arithmetic. Then, clever as I am, I can earn a lot of money. With the very first pennies I make, I'll buy Father a new cloth coat. Cloth, did I say? No, it shall be of gold and silver with diamond buttons. That poor man certainly deserves it; for, after all, isn't he in his shirt sleeves because he was good enough to buy a book for me? On this cold day, too! Fathers are indeed good to their children!"

"今天在學校,我要學習閱讀,明天要學習寫作,後天我要學會算術。"然後,儘管我很聰明,我可以賺很多錢。我要用我的第一桶金給爸爸買一件新衣服。我剛說到哪了,布的?我說過嗎?要用金銀織成的布的、鑽石做的的鈕釦。那個可憐的老人當然值得穿這樣的衣服。因為,畢竟他是為了給我買書才賣掉他的外套,他還不夠好嗎?而且是在這樣寒冷的天氣裡,父親對他的孩子真是太好了!"

As he talked to himself, he thought he heard sounds of pipes and drums coming from a distance: pi-pi-pi, pi-pi-pi...zum, zum, zum, zum.

正當他自言自語時,他好像聽到了遠處傳來了笛子聲和打鼓聲:咚咚咚咚咚。

He stopped to listen. Those sounds came from a little street that led to a small village along the shore.

他停下腳步,仔細聽了聽。聲音好像來自通向海邊的一個小村莊的小巷子裡。

"What can that noise be? What a nuisance that I have to go to school! Otherwise. . ."

"那是什麼聲音?"麻煩的是我非得上學不可!否則…"

There he stopped, very much puzzled. He felt he had to make up his mind for either one thing or another. Should he go to school, or should he follow the pipes?

他停了下來,躊躇不定。他覺得他必須作出個決斷,只能選一樣。他是應該去上學呢,還是去聽笛子?

"Today I'll follow the pipes, and tomorrow I'll go to school. There's always plenty of time to go to school," decided the little rascal at last, shrugging his shoulders.

"今天我就去聽聽吹笛,明天再去上學吧。上學以後有的是時間。"小傢伙終於下定了決心,聳了聳肩無奈地說。

No sooner said than done. He started down the street, going like the wind. On he ran, and louder grew the sounds of pipe and drum: pi-pi-pi, pi-pi-pi, pi-pi-pi ...zum, zum, zum, zum.

言而必行。他像一陣風似地沿街跑去。他越往前跑,笛聲和鼓聲越來越大:嗚嗚嗚,咚咚咚。

Suddenly, he found himself in a large square, full of people standing in front of a little wooden building painted in brilliant colors.

突然,他發現自己來到了一個大廣場上,廣場上人潮洶湧,擁擠在一座漆著鮮豔顏色的小木屋前。

"What is that house?" Pinocchio asked a little boy near him.

"那個房子是做什麼的啊?"匹諾曹問他旁邊的一個小男孩。

"Read the sign and you'll know."

"看看上面的標誌,你就知道了。"

"I'd like to read, but somehow I can't today."

"我也很想看,不過今天我還看不懂。"

"Oh, really? Then I'll read it to you. Know, then, that written in letters of fire I see the words: GREAT MARIONETTE THEATER.

"哦,是嗎?那我讀給你聽。我會讀,佈告上面寫的是幾個火紅色的大字:木偶大劇院。

"When did the show start? "

"表演什麼時候開始?"

"It is starting now."

"馬上就開始了"

"And how much does one pay to get in?"

"進場要多少錢?"

"Four pennies."

"四便士。"

Pinocchio, who was wild with curiosity to know what was going on inside, lost all his pride and said to the boy shamelessly:

匹諾曹太想知道里面究竟發生了什麼,他失去剛才的驕傲,一點也不害臊地對男孩說:

"Will you give me four pennies until tomorrow?"

"你能借是四便士嗎?明天還你。"

"I'd give them to you gladly," answered the other, poking fun at him, "but just now I can't give them to you."

"我本來很願意借給你的,"那男孩嘲弄地對他說,"但是我現在不能給你。"

"For the price of four pennies, I'll sell you my coat."

"你給我四便士,我把外套賣給你。"

"If it rains, what shall I do with a coat of flowered paper? I could not take it off again."

"你覺得我穿著件印花紙做的外套能幹嘛?一旦下雨,被雨淋溼了可能脫都脫都脫不下來。"

"Do you want to buy my shoes?"

"那你想買我的鞋子嗎?"

"They are only good enough to light a fire with."

"它們只能用來生火。"

"What about my hat?"

"我的帽子怎麼樣?"

"Fine bargain, indeed! A cap of dough! The mice might come and eat it from my head!"

"那可真是有用極了!一頂面團帽子!我要戴著它,估計老鼠就要到我頭上來吃帽子了!"

Pinocchio was almost in tears. He was just about to make one last offer, but he lacked the courage to do so. He hesitated, he wondered, he could not make up his mind. At last he said:

匹諾曹幾乎要哭了。他打算提出最後一個請求,但他沒有勇氣。他猶豫不決,有點迷茫,他拿不定主意。最後鼓起勇氣:

"Will you give me four pennies for the book?"

"我這本新書四便士賣給你行嗎?"

"I am a boy and I buy nothing from boys," said the little fellow with far more common sense than the Marionette.

"我也還是個孩子,我不會從一個孩子手上買東西,"小傢伙說,這孩子可比木偶有頭腦多了。

"I'll give you four pennies for your A-B-C book," said a ragpicker who stood by.

Then and there, the book changed hands. And to think that poor old Geppetto sat at home in his shirt sleeves, shivering with cold, having sold his coat to buy that little book for his son!

"我給你四便士買你的識字課本,"旁邊一個撿破爛的說。

這本書當場被轉手了。諸位想想那個可憐的老傑佩託吧,就為了給兒子買這本識字課本,賣掉了自己的外套,在家裡只穿了件襯衫,凍得渾身直打哆嗦!

雙語悅讀《木偶奇遇記》第13天

單詞、短語應用

hurry off:匆匆離開

Xiaoming hurried off to catch his train.(小明匆匆離開去幹火車。)

hurry up:快點

Hurry up, we're late!(快點,我們要遲到了!)

be in a hurry to do sth: 匆忙做什麼

Why are you in such a hurry to leave?(你幹嘛這麼著急走?)

not be in any hurry to do sth:不著急做什麼

Take your time—I'm not in any hurry.(慢一點,我不著急。)

under his arm:夾著

The teacher came into the classroom with his lesson book under his arm.

(老師夾著備課本走進了教室。)

be up in arms: 強烈反對

The director is up in arms about plans for selling.

(主任強烈反對這個銷售計劃。)

with open arms: 欣然

We welcomed monitor's offer with open arms.

(我們舉雙手贊成班長的建議。)

sb would give their right arm to do sth:某人為了做某事而不惜代價

The sales manager would give his right arm to get the bid.

(銷售經理不惜任何代價也有拿到這個投標。)

keep/hold sb at arm's length:與某人保持一定距離

We should keep negative people at arm's length to avoid affecting our own emotions.

(我們要跟負能量的人保持距離以免影響自己的情緒。)


分享到:


相關文章: