英語聽力(20200321T07):男孩們通過打遊戲激起對學習的熱情


聽力原文如下

<code>1.So I'm here to tell you that we have a problem with boys, and it's a serious problem with boys.
我在這兒是想告訴大家 我們的對男孩的教育有問題, 男孩子的教育是個嚴重問題。
2.Their culture isn't working in schools.
在學校,男孩文化沒有形成。
3.And I'm going to share with you ways that we can think about overcoming that problem.
我要和大家分享 我們關於這一問題的解決方法。
4.First, I want to start by saying, this is a boy, and this is a girl.
首先,我首先想說,這是個男孩, 這是個女孩。
5.And this is probably stereotypically what you think of as a boy and a girl.
這可能是你刻板的 關於男孩和女孩的想法。
6.If I essentialize gender for you today, then you can dismiss what I have to say.
如果我今天要講性別的事, 然後大家可能不會理睬我要說的。
7.So I'm not going to do that; I'm not interested in doing that.
所以我不打算這樣做,我對此也不感興趣。
8.This is a different kind of boy and a different kind of girl.
這是一個與眾不同的男孩,這是一個與眾不同的女孩。
9.So the point here is that not all boys exist within these rigid boundaries of what we think of as boys and girls.
我要指明的是並不是所有的男孩 是按我們所想的男孩和女孩那樣的嚴格界限 來劃分的。
10.And not all girls exist within those rigid boundaries of what we think of as girls.
也不是所有女孩可以用 我們想象中的女孩的界限來嚴格定義。
11.But, in fact, most boys tend to be a certain way, and most girls tend to be a certain way.
但事實上,多數男孩朝著他們自己的方向發展, 大多數女孩也朝著另一方向發展。

12.And the point is that, for boys, the way that they exist and the culture that they embrace isn't working well in schools now.
關鍵是,對男孩來說, 對他們的認可和他們的這種男孩文化的認識 目前在學校都沒有過多瞭解。
13.How do we know that?
我們怎麼知道這個事實呢?
14.The 100 Girls Project tells us some really nice statistics.
100個女孩計劃 告訴了我們一些真正有用的數據。
15.For example: For every 100 girls that are suspended from school, there are 250 boys that are suspended from school.
例如,當有100個女孩從學校停課, 那就有250個男孩從學校停課。
16.For every 100 girls who are expelled from school, there are 335 boys who are expelled from school.
每當有100個女孩被學校開除, 對應的男孩數是335個.
17.For every 100 girls in special education, there are 217 boys.
每當有100個女孩接受特殊教育, 男孩數是217個。
18.For every 100 girls with a learning disability, there are 276 boys.
每100個女孩有學習障礙, 男孩的對應數是276個。
19.For every 100 girls with an emotional disturbance diagnosed, we have 324 boys.
每100女孩 有情緒紊亂症狀, 對應男孩數是324個。
20.And by the way, all of these numbers are significantly higher if you happen to be black, if you happen to be poor, if you happen to exist in an overcrowded school.
順便提一下, 如果發生在黑人小孩, 貧窮的小孩身上, 假如發生在擁擠不堪的學校上學的小孩身上,這所有數據還得更高。
21.And if you are a boy, you're four times as likely to be diagnosed with ADHD -- attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.
如果你是個男孩, 你比女孩更有四倍的可能性 被診斷出ADHD症狀- 注意力缺乏(或多動)症狀。
22.Now there is another side to this.
現在講到這還要提另一方面。

23.And it is important that we recognize that women still need help in school, that salaries are still significantly lower, even when controlled for job types,
我們還要重視地認識到 在學校女性還需要幫助, 女性的工資還是相對地低, 甚至在工作種類上女性選擇面也小,
24.and that girls have continued to struggle in math and science for years.
女孩還一直 在數學和科學領域中掙扎奮鬥多年。
25.That's all true.
這都是事實。
26.Nothing about that prevents us from paying attention to the literacy needs of our boys between ages three and 13.
但這不能阻止我們 來關注 年齡從3歲到13歲的男孩的掃盲問題。
27.And so we should.
我們應該關注這些男孩的問題。
28.In fact, what we ought to do is take a page from their playbook, because the initiatives and programs that have been set in place for women in science and engineering and mathematics
事實上,我們要做的是站在男孩的立場來思考解決問題, 因為在學校已設置的初級教學和 課程計劃 適合女孩在科學,工程學和數學方面
29.are fantastic.
有傑出表現。
30.They've done a lot of good for girls in these situations.
他們在這些情形下為女孩子 作了很多好事。
31.And we ought to be thinking about how we can make that happen for boys too in their younger years.
我們該考慮一下 我們該怎樣讓男孩在他們年少時也 受到同樣的待遇。
32.Even in their older years, what we find is that there's still a problem.
甚至在他們長大的歲月中, 我們發現還是有問題的。
33.When we look at the universities, 60 percent of baccalaureate degrees are going to women now, which is a significant shift.
當我們環顧大學, 目前女性佔60%的本科學歷的人數, 這是個巨大的轉變。

34.And in fact, university administrators are a little uncomfortable about the idea that we may be getting close to 70 percent female population in universities.
實際上,大學的主管們 對此感到有點不安, 要是在大學, 女性佔總人數的70%。
35.This makes university administrators very nervous, because girls don't want to go to schools that don't have boys.
這數據讓大學主管們非常緊張, 因為女孩也不想去沒有男孩的學校上學。
36.And so we're starting to see the establishment of men centers and men studies to think about how do we engage men in their experiences in the university.
所以我們開始看到 男性中心和男性研究的建立 來思考怎樣讓男性 在大學中活躍起來。
37.If you talk to faculty, they may say, "Ugh. Yeah, well, they're playing video games, and they're gambling online all night long, and they're playing World of Warcraft.
如果你跟教員談話,他們會說, “啊,是的,男孩愛打視頻遊戲, 他們通宵網上賭博, 還愛玩魔獸世界。
38.And that's affecting their academic achievement."
這些都影響了 他們學術成績。”
39.Guess what?
猜怎麼了?
40.Video games are not the cause.
視頻遊戲不是主要原因。
41.Video games are a symptom.
視頻遊戲是一個徵兆。
42.They were turned off a long time before they got here.
在男孩打遊戲前,他們已經很長時間 對學習都不感興趣了。
43.So let's talk about why they got turned off when they were between the ages of three and 13.
讓我們談談,當他們在3歲到13歲間, 他們為什麼對學習不感興趣呢?
44.There are three reasons that I believe that boys are out of sync with the culture of schools today.
我認為有三個原因 讓男孩們與今天的學校教育 脫節。
45.The first is zero tolerance.
第一個是零容忍。

46.Kindergarten teacher I know, her son donated all of his toys to her, and when he did, she had to go through and pull out all the little plastic guns.
我認識的一名幼兒園教師, 她兒子得上繳他所有的玩具, 然後,她得一一檢查 把所有的小塑料槍都拿走。
47.You can't have plastic knives and swords and axes and all that kind of thing in a kindergarten classroom.
在幼兒園教室, 不能有塑料刀,劍和斧子 以及類似的東西。
48.What is it that we're afraid that this young man is going to do with this gun?
年輕人要是有槍,我們要擔心的是什麼?
49.I mean, really.
我是說,真的。
50.But here he stands as testament to the fact that you can't roughhouse on the playground today.
但這兒男孩得面對的事實是 今天他們不能在操場玩耍打鬧。
51.Now I'm not advocating for bullies.
我這不是鼓動要持強凌弱。
52.I'm not suggesting that we need to be allowing guns and knives into school.
我也不是推薦 在學校容許男孩攜帶槍和小刀。
53.But when we say that an Eagle Scout in a high school classroom who has a locked parked car in the parking lot and a penknife in it has to be suspended from school,
但我想說 高中班級中的老鷹童子軍 在停車場停放的車裡 要是有把刀, 就得被勒令休學,
54.I think we may have gone a little too far with zero tolerance.
我認為我們可能在零容忍度方面做得有點過火。
55.Another way that zero tolerance lives itself out is in the writing of boys.
另一種在生活中的零容忍度是有關男孩的寫作。
56.In a lot of classrooms today you're not allowed to write about anything that's violent.
今天在很多課堂, 你不能寫有關暴力的任何東西。
57.You're not allowed to write about anything that has to do with video games -- these topics are banned.
你不能寫 涉及視頻遊戲的任何東西,這些話題是被禁止的。

58.Boy comes home from school, and he says, "I hate writing."
男孩從學校回來,他說, “我討厭寫作。”
59."Why do you hate writing, son? What's wrong with writing?"
“兒子,你為什麼討厭寫作?到底怎麼了?”
60."Now I have to write what she tells me to write."
“現在我得寫女教師吩咐我寫的素材。”
61."Okay, what is she telling you to write?"
“哦,她讓你寫什麼?”
62."Poems. I have to write poems.
“詩歌。我得寫詩歌。
63.And little moments in my life.
一生中我很少寫這話題。
64.I don't want to write that stuff."
我不想寫詩歌。”
65."All right. Well what do you want to write? What do you want to write about?"
“好吧。那你想寫什麼?有什麼好寫的?”
66."I want to write about video games. I want to write about leveling-up.
“我想寫有關視頻遊戲。我想寫如何練級。
67.I want to write about this really interesting world.
我想寫這真正有意思的遊戲世界。
68.I want to write about a tornado that comes into our house and blows all the windows out and ruins all the furniture and kills everybody."
我想寫龍捲風來到我家, 把所有的窗戶吹跑,, 毀壞所有的傢俱,然後殺死了所有人。”
69."All right. Okay."
“好的。”
70.You tell a teacher that, and they'll ask you, in all seriousness, "Should we send this child to the psychologist?"
你要告訴一位老師這個, 她們會非常嚴肅地會問你, “我們是不是應該送這小孩到心理學家那?”
71.And the answer is no, he's just a boy.

答案是不應該,他只是個男孩。
72.He's just a little boy.
他只是個小男孩。
73.It's not okay to write these kinds of things in classrooms today.
現在在課堂上 還不能寫這些東西。
74.So that's the first reason: zero tolerance policies and the way they're lived out.
所以這是第一個原因: 零容忍政策和他們所處的環境不容許男孩文化的發生。
75.The next reason that boys' cultures are out of sync with school cultures: there are fewer male teachers.
第二個原因是男孩文化與學校文化相脫節: 有很少的男性教師。
76.Anybody who's over 15 doesn't know what this means, because in the last 10 years, the number of elementary school classroom teachers
任何超過15歲的人對此不瞭解, 因為在過去10年裡, 男性在小學教師課堂裡的數量
77.has been cut in half.
已經被減半。
78.We went from 14 percent to seven percent.
男性比重從14% 降到7%。
79.That means that 93 percent of the teachers that our young men get in elementary classrooms are women.
這意味著93%的老師 在年輕男孩上的小學課堂裡 是女老師。
80.Now what's the problem with this?
那麼這又有什麼問題呢?
81.Women are great. Yep, absolutely.
女老師很棒。是的,的確。
82.But male role models for boys that say it's all right to be smart -- they've got dads, they've got pastors, they've got Cub Scout leaders,
但是男性角色模範對於男孩 來說,它可以讓男孩變聰明。 男孩有父親,有牧師, 和童子軍導師,
83.but ultimately, six hours a day, five days a week, they're spending in a classroom.
但歸根結底,每天6小時,每週五天, 男孩都在課堂上度過。

84.And most of those classrooms are not places where men exist.
多數那些課程 不適合男人。
85.And so they say, I guess this really isn't a place for boys.
如此,我猜這課堂也不太適合男孩去上。
86.This is a place for girls.
這課堂適合女孩上。
87.And I'm not very good at this, so I guess I'd better go play video games or get into sports, or something like that, because I obviously don't belong here.
我卻不擅長, 我覺得我最好 去玩視頻遊戲或者玩體育,或者類似的什麼事, 因為我很明顯與學校文化格格不入。
88.Men don't belong here, that's pretty obvious.
學校文化也不包括男人,這是很明顯的。
89.So that may be a very direct way that we see it happen.
所以這可能是一種很直接的方式 讓我們看到正在發生的事實。
90.But less directly, the lack of male presence in the culture -- you've got a teachers' lounge, and they're having a conversation about Joey and Johnny who beat each other up on the playground.
但不那麼直接地, 是在學校文化中缺少男性-- 你要是待在教師休息室, 老師們正談論 在操場打起架來的喬伊和約翰。
91."What are we going to do with these boys?"
“我們要拿這些男孩怎麼辦?”
92.The answer to that question changes depending on who's sitting around that table.
問題的答案取決於誰當時在場。
93.Are there men around that table?
有任何男性在場嗎?
94.Are there moms who who've raised boys around that table?
這些孩子的母親在場嗎?
95.You'll see, the conversation changes depending upon who's sitting around the table.
大家可以看出,這談論會 隨誰當時在場而改變。
96.Third reason that boys are out of sync with school today: kindergarten is the old second grade, folks.

第三個原因是男孩與我們今日的學校相脫節: 幼兒園是一種過時的脫節教育。
97.We have a serious compression of the curriculum happening out there.
我們教學課程中有嚴重的壓縮問題。
98.When you're three, you better be able to write your name legibly, or else we'll consider it a developmental delay.
當孩子三歲時,他們最好能清楚地寫下他們的名字, 要不我們會認為這是發育遲緩。
99.By the time you're in first grade, you should be able to read paragraphs of text with maybe a picture, maybe not, in a book of maybe 25 to 30 pages.
到孩子小學一年級時, 他們應該能讀 帶圖的,或者不帶圖的課文裡的段落, 這本書大概有25-30頁。
100.If you don't, we're probably going to be putting you into a Title 1 special reading program.
如果孩子做不到,老師很可能把這孩子 送到編號一的特殊閱讀計劃班。
101.And if you ask Title 1 teachers, they'll tell you: they've got about four or five boys for every girl that's in their program, in the elementary grades.
如果問問這班的老師們,她們會告訴你: 在這個低年級的特殊閱讀計劃班裡, 每當有1個女孩就對等的有4到5個男孩。
102.The reason that this is a problem is because the message that boys are getting is "you need to do what the teacher asks you to do all the time."
這問題是 因為男孩得到的教育 是“在上學間,你就需要做 老師吩咐你做的事。”
103.The teacher's salary depends on No Child Left Behind and Race to the Top and accountability and testing and all of this.
老師的工資取決於 讓學生考試名列前茅,不讓一個孩子掉隊, 並負有責任和大大小小測試 以及類似這樣的事。
104.So she has to figure out a way to get all these boys through this curriculum -- and girls.
所以她得想方設法地 讓這些男孩和女孩 通過這課程。
105.This compressed curriculum is bad for all active kids.
這壓縮課程對所有活躍調皮的孩子來說是 糟糕的。

106.And what happens is, she says, "Please, sit down, be quiet, do what you're told, follow the rules, manage your time, focus, be a girl."
接下來發生的是, 她說,“請坐下來, 安靜點,聽我說的做,遵守規矩, 抓緊時間,注意一下, 要乖點像個女孩。”
107.That's what she tells them.
這就是女老師讓男孩做的事。
108.Indirectly, that's what she tells them.
間接地,她指示了男孩該做什麼。
109.And so this is a very serious problem. Where is it coming from?
所以這是個很嚴重的問題。這是從哪開始的呢?
110.It's coming from us.
它是源於我們自己。
111.(Laughter) We want our babies to read when they are six months old.
(笑聲) 我們想讓我們的寶貝在他們六個月大時就能讀。
112.Have you seen the ads?
你看過廣告嗎?
113.We want to live in Lake Wobegon where every child is above average.
我們想住在沃比岡湖, 那裡每一個孩子的智商都高於平均水平。
114.But what this does to our children is really not healthy.
但是這對我們的孩子來說是非常不健康的。
115.It's not developmentally appropriate, and it's particularly bad for boys.
這是種不良發育, 特別對男孩來說有不好的影響。
116.So what do we do?
我們能做什麼呢?
117.We need to meet them where they are.
我們要迎合男孩們的需求。
118.We need to put ourselves into boy culture.
我們要置身於男孩文化中。

119.We need to change the mindset of acceptance in boys in elementary schools.
我們要改變 小學對男孩子一成不變地思維模式。
120.More specifically, we can do some very specific things.
更具體地,我們可以做些非常具體的事。
121.We can design better games.
我們可以設計更好玩的遊戲。
122.Most of the educational games that are out there today are really flashcards.
今天的多數教育遊戲是過時的, 它們只是卡片遊戲。
123.They're glorified drill and practice.
它們都是很耗人的和需要人們的耐心來玩。
124.They don't have the depth, the rich narrative that really engaging video games have, that the boys are really interested in.
它們沒有真正打電子遊戲時的那種耐玩性, 豐富的遊戲互動性, 這些才會讓男孩們真正感興趣。
125.So we need to design better games.
所以我們要設計更好玩的遊戲。
126.We need to talk to teachers and parents and school board members and politicians.
我們要和老師,家長, 學校董事會成員和政治家對話。
127.We need to make sure that people see that we need more men in the classroom.
我們必須確保讓人們看到,我們要在課堂上有更多的男性老師。
128.We need to look carefully at our zero tolerance policies.
我們要格外關注我們的零容忍政策。
129.Do they make sense?
它們是否合理?
130.We need to think about how to uncompress this curriculum if we can, trying to bring boys back into a space that is comfortable for them.
我們要思考 我們該怎樣解壓這課程, 我們儘量努力讓男孩回到 適合他們待的地方學校來。

131.All of those conversations need to be happening.
這所有的對話都要發生。
132.There are some great examples out there of schools -- the New York Times just talked about a school recently.
這裡也有一些很好的 學校-- 最近紐約時報就談到一個學校。
133.A game designer from the New School put together a wonderful video gaming school.
新學校的遊戲設計者 組合了一所非常棒的視頻遊戲學校。
134.But it only treats a few kids.
但它只針對個別的孩子。
135.And so this isn't very scalable.
這種學校非常稀缺。
136.We have to change the culture and the feelings that politicians and school board members and parents have about the way we accept and what we accept
所以我們得改變學校裡的男孩文化和改變 政治家,學校董事會成員和父母對待男孩文化的想法, 它是有關今天在我們學校,我們已接受的這種男孩文化方式和我們要去接受的
137.in our schools today.
男孩文化。
138.We have to find more money for game design.
我們要給遊戲設計投資更多的錢。
139.Because good games, really good games, cost money, and World of Warcraft has quite a budget.
因為好遊戲,非常好的遊戲是要花錢的, 魔獸世界有相當多的預算。
140.Most of the educational games do not.
大多數教育遊戲沒有那麼多預算。
141.Where we started: my colleagues -- Mike Petner, Shawn Vashaw, myself -- we started by trying to look at the teachers' attitudes and find out how do they really feel about gaming,
我們從哪裡開始呢: 我同事--邁克·派特呢Mike Petner,肖恩·瓦紹Shawn Vashaw和我, 我們開始瞭解老師對此的態度 並找出她們真正對遊戲的想法,
142.what do they say about it.

對此她們想說什麼。
143.And we discovered that they talk about the kids in their school, who talk about gaming, in pretty demeaning ways.
我們發現 她們在學校談到男孩 打遊戲, 他們是用一種非常貶損的口吻。
144.They say, "Oh, yeah. They're always talking about that stuff.
她們說,“哦,是的。他們常常談論視頻遊戲。
145.They're talking about their little action figures and their little achievements or merit badges, or whatever it is that they get.
他們談論著他們的小英雄人物 和他們的網上小成績或者獲得的徽章, 或者任何他們贏得的獎勵。
146.And they're always talking about this stuff."
他們常常談論這些東西。”
147.And they say these things as if it's okay.
她們說這些話好像是沒關係似的。
148.But if it were your culture, think of how that might feel.
但如果這是你的文化呢, 想想你會感覺如何?
149.It's very uncomfortable to be on the receiving end of that kind of language.
老師的那種語言對於男孩這些接收者們來說, 聽上去是非常不舒服的。
150.They're nervous about anything that has anything to do with violence because of the zero tolerance policies.
老師們對任何 涉及暴力的東西都感到焦慮, 這是因為零容忍的政策。
151.They are sure that parents and administrators will never accept anything.
男孩知道他們的父母和校官絕不會接受這一切。
152.So we really need to think about looking at teacher attitudes and finding ways to change the attitudes so that teachers are much more open
所以我們的確要思考審視老師的態度 找到改變這態度的方法 好讓老師更加寬容,以開放的態度
153.and accepting of boy cultures in their classrooms.
來接受在課堂上的這種男孩文化。

154.Because, ultimately, if we don't, then we're going to have boys who leave elementary school saying, "Well I guess that was just a place for girls;
因為,最終,我們要是不改變, 就會有離開小學的男孩子說, “好吧,我猜學校只是適合女生待;
155.it wasn't for me.
並不適合我。
156.So I've got to do gaming, or I've got to do sports."
所以我要去打遊戲,或者玩體育。”
157.If we change these things, if we pay attention to these things, and we re-engage boys in their learning, they will leave the elementary schools saying, "I'm smart."
如果我們改變這些事,如果我們關注這些事, 我們重新喚起男孩學習的熱情, 他們在離開小學時,說,“我變聰明瞭。”
158.Thank you.
謝謝。/<code>

結束語

如果您需要本期音頻相關的學習資料,可以留言或私信回覆關鍵字:"20200321T07",系統會自動回覆您下載地址(內容包括:視頻+音頻+文稿),資料僅供個人學習使用。


分享到:


相關文章: