Weird Vacancies(奇怪的空房)

英语学习阁——致力于每天刷选出好的英文故事,英文美文,英文音乐,英文视频给各位阁主大大品味,在此谢谢各位阁主大大的莅临

Weird Vacancies(奇怪的空房)

I was staying at a hotel in Chicago Illinois during a business trip and I was going to stay for the whole weekend.

我在出差期间住在伊利诺伊州芝加哥市的一家酒店,整个周末都待在这里


It was an older hotel, one that still used small keys rather than keycards to enter the rooms.

这是一家较老的酒店,仍然使用小钥匙而不是钥匙卡进入房间


I didn't mind.

我不介意


It seemed nice to get away from the onslaught of technology.

摆脱技术冲击似乎很好


When I checked into the hotel, it was completely packed.

当我检查酒店时,它已经装满了


A nasty storm had rolled in, stranding many tourists and cancelling flights.

一场暴风雨滚滚而来,使许多游客滞留并取消了航班


No more rooms were available and many people were being turned away because of the lack of vacancy.

没有更多的房间可用,由于缺少空位,许多人被拒之门外


When I approached the front desk to check in, I noticed that all the keys for the rooms on the 8th floor were still on the wall.

当我到前台办理登机手续时,我注意到8层房间的所有钥匙都还在墙上


Not a single key was missing.

没有一个遗失的钥匙


Weird Vacancies(奇怪的空房)


It seemed odd that an entire floor would be vacant when so many people were all clambering to check in and get to their rooms.

当这么多人都爬上去办理登机手续并进入他们的房间时,整个地板都空着,这似乎很奇怪


I could see the clerk was stressing out and he was ready to just give up and go home, so I tried to lighten the mood a little bit.

我可以看到业务员压力很大,他准备放弃并回家,所以我设法减轻了心情


"Kind of weird, isn't it?"

“有点奇怪,不是吗?”


"What is?" The clerk asked.

“什么是?”店员问。


"How everybody on the 8th floor is missing."

“八楼的每个人都是怎么失踪的。”


The clerk gave me an odd look and his face paled.

店员给我一个奇怪的表情,脸色苍白


"What do you know about the 8th floor?" He replied in a serious tone.

“您对8楼了解多少?”他以严肃的语气回答


"What? Oh, nothing!" I answered honestly, a little embarrassed that my attempt to lighten the mood backfired.

“什么?哦,什么都没有!”老实说,我为减轻心情的尝试适得其反感到有些尴尬


"I just noticed that all the keys for the 8th floor are still behind the desk."

“我只是注意到8楼的所有钥匙仍在桌子后面。”


The clerk blushed a little and tried to laugh it off.

店员脸红了一点,试图把它笑掉


"Oh, yes, I see now."

“哦,是的,我现在知道了。”


He went back to check in me and handed me the key to my room on the ninth floor.

他回去检查了我,并将钥匙交给了我位于第9楼的房间


"Enjoy your stay."

“入住愉快。”


"I will . . . thanks."

“我会的。谢谢。”


I awkwardly accepted the key and grabbed my bag, heading for the elevator.

我笨拙地接受了钥匙,然后抓起我的包,前往电梯


Just like the lobby, the elevator was also packed.

就像大厅一样,电梯也挤满了人


It was difficult to stand next to so many strangers so close by, let alone enter and exit a small car.

很难站在如此靠近的众多陌生人旁边,更不用说进出一辆小型汽车了


I struggled to reach and press the button for the ninth floor, but I managed to see over the crowd of people and reach the button panel.

我艰难地到达并按下了9楼的按钮,但我设法看到了人群,并到达了按钮面板


It was then that I noticed that the buttons seemed to be missing a floor: 8.

那时我注意到按钮似乎缺少了地板:8


Weird Vacancies(奇怪的空房)


"That's funny."

“那很好笑。”


I thought out loud.

我大想出了声


"I wonder why there's no button for the 8th floor."

“我想知道为什么8楼没有按钮。”


But no one in the elevator reacted.

但是电梯里没有人反应


They either didn't care or they were too preoccupied and didn't hear me.

他们要么不在乎,要么全神贯注,听不到我的声音


翻译:英语学习阁


英语学习阁——致力于每天分享好的英文故事,英文美文,英文音乐,英文视频分享于阁主大大!


分享到:


相關文章: