Weird Vacancies(奇怪的空房)

英語學習閣——致力於每天刷選出好的英文故事,英文美文,英文音樂,英文視頻給各位閣主大大品味,在此謝謝各位閣主大大的蒞臨

Weird Vacancies(奇怪的空房)

I was staying at a hotel in Chicago Illinois during a business trip and I was going to stay for the whole weekend.

我在出差期間住在伊利諾伊州芝加哥市的一家酒店,整個週末都待在這裡


It was an older hotel, one that still used small keys rather than keycards to enter the rooms.

這是一家較老的酒店,仍然使用小鑰匙而不是鑰匙卡進入房間


I didn't mind.

我不介意


It seemed nice to get away from the onslaught of technology.

擺脫技術衝擊似乎很好


When I checked into the hotel, it was completely packed.

當我檢查酒店時,它已經裝滿了


A nasty storm had rolled in, stranding many tourists and cancelling flights.

一場暴風雨滾滾而來,使許多遊客滯留並取消了航班


No more rooms were available and many people were being turned away because of the lack of vacancy.

沒有更多的房間可用,由於缺少空位,許多人被拒之門外


When I approached the front desk to check in, I noticed that all the keys for the rooms on the 8th floor were still on the wall.

當我到前臺辦理登機手續時,我注意到8層房間的所有鑰匙都還在牆上


Not a single key was missing.

沒有一個遺失的鑰匙


Weird Vacancies(奇怪的空房)


It seemed odd that an entire floor would be vacant when so many people were all clambering to check in and get to their rooms.

當這麼多人都爬上去辦理登機手續並進入他們的房間時,整個地板都空著,這似乎很奇怪


I could see the clerk was stressing out and he was ready to just give up and go home, so I tried to lighten the mood a little bit.

我可以看到業務員壓力很大,他準備放棄並回家,所以我設法減輕了心情


"Kind of weird, isn't it?"

“有點奇怪,不是嗎?”


"What is?" The clerk asked.

“什麼是?”店員問。


"How everybody on the 8th floor is missing."

“八樓的每個人都是怎麼失蹤的。”


The clerk gave me an odd look and his face paled.

店員給我一個奇怪的表情,臉色蒼白


"What do you know about the 8th floor?" He replied in a serious tone.

“您對8樓瞭解多少?”他以嚴肅的語氣回答


"What? Oh, nothing!" I answered honestly, a little embarrassed that my attempt to lighten the mood backfired.

“什麼?哦,什麼都沒有!”老實說,我為減輕心情的嘗試適得其反感到有些尷尬


"I just noticed that all the keys for the 8th floor are still behind the desk."

“我只是注意到8樓的所有鑰匙仍在桌子後面。”


The clerk blushed a little and tried to laugh it off.

店員臉紅了一點,試圖把它笑掉


"Oh, yes, I see now."

“哦,是的,我現在知道了。”


He went back to check in me and handed me the key to my room on the ninth floor.

他回去檢查了我,並將鑰匙交給了我位於第9樓的房間


"Enjoy your stay."

“入住愉快。”


"I will . . . thanks."

“我會的。謝謝。”


I awkwardly accepted the key and grabbed my bag, heading for the elevator.

我笨拙地接受了鑰匙,然後抓起我的包,前往電梯


Just like the lobby, the elevator was also packed.

就像大廳一樣,電梯也擠滿了人


It was difficult to stand next to so many strangers so close by, let alone enter and exit a small car.

很難站在如此靠近的眾多陌生人旁邊,更不用說進出一輛小型汽車了


I struggled to reach and press the button for the ninth floor, but I managed to see over the crowd of people and reach the button panel.

我艱難地到達並按下了9樓的按鈕,但我設法看到了人群,併到達了按鈕面板


It was then that I noticed that the buttons seemed to be missing a floor: 8.

那時我注意到按鈕似乎缺少了地板:8


Weird Vacancies(奇怪的空房)


"That's funny."

“那很好笑。”


I thought out loud.

我大想出了聲


"I wonder why there's no button for the 8th floor."

“我想知道為什麼8樓沒有按鈕。”


But no one in the elevator reacted.

但是電梯裡沒有人反應


They either didn't care or they were too preoccupied and didn't hear me.

他們要麼不在乎,要麼全神貫注,聽不到我的聲音


翻譯:英語學習閣


英語學習閣——致力於每天分享好的英文故事,英文美文,英文音樂,英文視頻分享於閣主大大!


分享到:


相關文章: