02.29 We got 'em by the short hairs我抓住了他们的小辫子(抓住把柄)


[Gabrielle's House加布丽尔家].

(Gabrielle is sitting on the couch reading the paper. Carlos comes in the front door.加布丽尔坐在沙发上看报纸,卡洛斯从前门进来。)

Carlos: "Babe, they blinked! We got 'em by the short hairs!"

宝贝,他们服软了。我抓住了他们的小辫子。(抓住了他们把柄)

blink 眨眼,闭眼不看, 宽恕,不咎(罪过)

have (或get) somebody by the short hairs (或curlies)

用作动词的意思:(美国俚语)胁迫、要挟某人

(Carlos grabs Gabrielle's hand and pulls her up.卡洛斯抓住加布丽尔的手把她拉起来。)

Gabrielle: "Who? Who blinked?"

谁?谁服软了?

(Carlos: "The DA.I just spoke to the lawyers. They offered a plea bargain."

地方检察官

。我刚和律师们谈过了。他们提供了一份认罪协议

(DA地方检察官英文全称】 District Attorney是美国县一级司法管辖区的法律部门最高公务员,他负责监督副检察官和助理检察官们。负责代表政府提出刑事诉讼。根据各州法律的不同,地方检察官可由所在司法管辖区的公民选举产生,亦可由所在司法管辖区的行政长官委任。)

plea n.意为“恳求,请求;辩解,辩护;借口,托辞”

bargain n.交易;便宜货;契约

plea bargain[律]辩诉交易 ; 认罪求情协议

(辩诉交易制度是美国刑事诉讼中一项非常重要的诉讼制度 (以被告承认犯有轻罪而获从轻处罚的认罪辩诉协议),其存在的价值取向在于更好地节约诉讼成本和控制由对抗式的诉讼程序所带来的诉讼风险 ,曾被认为是程序公平的重要体现。)

Gabrielle: "And that's - good?"

是好事吗?

Carlos: "It means they know they got a weak case. They don't think they can win. It's over."

那意味着他们知道自己理亏(证据不足),他们觉得自己赢不了,都结束了。

Gabrielle: "Oh my god! Honey, that means we can keep the house!"

天啊,那意味着我们能保住房子了。

Carlos: "No. We still have to sell the house. I gotta pay the lawyers."

不,我们还得卖掉房子,我得付律师费。

Gabrielle: "But I thought you said they offered a plea bargain."

可你不是说他们提供了一份认罪协议

Carlos: "Yeah, but we're not gonna take that."

没错,可我们不会接受。

Gabrielle: "Put me down."把我放下来。

(Carlos puts Gabrielle down.卡洛斯放下加布丽尔)

Carlos: "Honey, it would mean me going to jail for eight months."

亲爱的,如果不卖房子的话,那意味着我要做8个月牢。

Gabrielle: "I think that's pretty reasonable considering you're guilty as sin!"

鉴于你确实罪有应得,我觉得很合理。

sin罪,罪恶

Carlos: "You said that you were fine with selling the house."

你本来同意卖房子的

Gabrielle: "That was before I knew we could trade a couple months in prison to keep it!"

那是我在知道蹲一阵子监狱就能保住它之前,

(The phone rings. Gabrielle goes over to answer it.电话响了,加布丽尔去接)

Gabrielle: "What? No, this is her daughter-in-law."

干嘛?不是,我是她儿媳

Carlos: "Is it the hospital? Is it Mama?"

(Gabrielle turns away from Carlos.加布丽尔转过身背对拉罗斯)

Gabrielle: "Ah, thank you, yes."

谢谢!好的。

(She hangs up.她挂断电话)

Carlos: "Gabby?"加布?

Gabrielle: "I'm sorry, Carlos."

我很遗憾,卡洛斯

(She puts her arms around him and hugs him close. As she holds him, she smiles.她伸出双臂紧紧抱住卡洛斯,脸上露出微笑)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Gabrielle's House]

(Pamphlets for crypts, caskets, and flowers are spread all over the coffee table.咖啡桌上摆着一堆卖墓地、棺材、鲜花的广告宣传单)

Mary Alice Voiceover:"Some believe people are judged by the way they live life, and others by the way they leave it."

有的人凭当世之事断人,有的则凭身后之事断人

Carlos: "I like the Lexington mahogany with gold leaf. It comes with a pink velvet interior and drapes. Plus it's hand-engraved so in case of a flood or earthquake, they'll at least be able to know which one is hers."

我喜欢这种带金叶的莱克星顿红木,里面是粉色的天鹅绒和垂幔,还有手工雕刻的面板,万一洪水或地震,至少能辨别出哪个棺材是她的。

mahogany红木

Gabrielle: "Don't you think that's a little over the top?"

你不觉得夸张了点吗

over the top过火的,不得当的 ,夸张的

Carlos: "I want the best for Mama."

给妈妈的就要最好。

Gabrielle: "No, honey, these funeral homes make a fortune trying to convince people to overspend."

不,亲爱的,不,宝贝,这些墓葬公司都想让我们过度消费,他们好赚大钱。

Carlos: "What are you saying?"

你说什么呢?

Gabrielle: "Well, I'm saying your mother was a sensible woman. She wouldn't be comfortable with all these bells and whistles. Maybe this one. Wood veneer!"

你妈妈很通情达理,她不会喜欢那些花里胡哨的没用的装饰。这个吧,木制面板。

(Carlos closes his eyes and shakes his head.卡洛斯闭上眼睛直摇头。)

Gabrielle: "What?"干嘛?

Carlos: "You never liked Mama."

你从来就没喜欢过妈妈

Gabrielle: "Well, it's awfully hard to like someone who actively hates your guts. She always thought you married beneath you and she let me know it."

要喜欢一个对你恨之入骨的人很难,她一向认为你屈尊娶了我,而且毫不避讳让我知道。

Carlos: "She loved you."

她爱你的

Gabrielle: "She treated me like trash!" (crosses herself在自己身上画十字) "God rest her soul."

她视我如垃圾。上帝让她的灵魂安息。

Carlos: "I'm putting my mother in the grave. Now is not the time to pinch pennies."

我在筹备我妈妈的葬礼,现在不是斤斤计较的时候。

pinch pennies意思就是非常精打细算,甚至到了吝啬和视钱如命的地步

精打细算; 锱铢必较; 非常节省斤斤计较

Gabrielle: "Carlos, we're not exactly flush with cash right now. Let her be true to her roots. She was born humble and barefoot."

卡洛斯,我们现在手头很紧她出身卑微,让她归真反璞

humble 谦卑,低微。 barefoot 赤脚,赤足

Carlos: "She was a queen."

她是个女王。

(He walks away.)


分享到:


相關文章: