英語聽力(20200322T07):我如何教老鼠探測地雷


聽力原文如下

<code>1.I'm here today to share with you an extraordinary journey -- extraordinarily rewarding journey, actually -- which brought me into training rats
我今天和你們分享 一個不同尋常的旅行 - 一個不同尋常的有價值的旅行,事實上 - 我 訓練老鼠
2.to save human lives by detecting landmines and tuberculosis.
去拯救人類的生命 通過探測地雷 和發現肺結核。
3.As a child, I had two passions.
孩童時,我有兩個夢想。
4.One was a passion for rodents.
第一個夢想是關於齧齒類動物的。
5.I had all kinds of rats, mice, hamsters, gerbils, squirrels.
我有各種各樣的鼠, 老鼠,倉鼠, 沙土鼠,松鼠。
6.You name it, I bred it, and I sold them to pet shops.
你們能叫上名的鼠,我都餵養過,然後我將它們賣到寵物商店。
7.(Laughter) I also had a passion for Africa.
(笑聲) 我還有一個關於非洲的夢想。
8.Growing up in a multicultural environment, we had African students in the house, and I learned about their stories, so different backgrounds,
在一個多元文化的環境中長大, 我們學校裡有非洲的學生, 然後我瞭解到了他們的故事, (非常)不同的背景,
9.dependency on imported know-how, goods, services, exuberant cultural diversity.
依賴於引進的技術, 物品,服務, 豐富的多元文化。
10.Africa was truly fascinating for me.
非洲對我很有吸引力。
11.I became an industrial engineer, engineer in product development, and I focused on appropriate detection technologies, actually the first appropriate technologies
我成為了工業工程師 - 產品研發的工程師 - 我負責相應的探測技術, 實際上對於發展中國家也是

12.for developing countries.
第一個適用的技術。
13.I started working in the industry, but I wasn't really happy to contribute to a material consumer society in a linear, extracting and manufacturing mode.
我開始在工業界工作, 但是我工作不開心 來迎合商品消費為主的 線性市場,以及行銷手段 和生產的模式。
14.I quit my job to focus on the real world problem: landmines.
我辭掉了工作專注於實際的現實問題: 地雷。
15.We're talking '95 now.
我們現在在討論1995年。
16.Princess Diana is announcing on TV that landmines form a structural barrier to any development, which is really true.
Diana戴安娜王妃在電視上宣佈 地雷對於發展來說成為阻礙, 事實上確實如此。
17.As long as these devices are there, or there is suspicion of landmines, you can't really enter into the land.
只要地雷在那裡, 或者有可能存在地雷, 你就不能到那片土地。
18.Actually, there was an appeal worldwide for new detectors in the sustainable environments where they're needed to produce, which is mainly in the developing world.
實際上,全球範圍都需要 新的探測器 為了可持續發展的環境, 急需這些探測器的地方 尤其是在發展中國家。
19.We chose rats.
我們選擇了鼠。
20.Why would you choose rats?
為什麼會選擇鼠呢?
21.Because, aren't they vermin?
因為,它們是害蟲?
22.Well, actually rats are, in contrary to what most people think about them, rats are highly sociable creatures.
但是,事實上鼠是 - 和多數人想的相反 - 鼠是非常友善的生物。
23.And actually, our product -- what you see here.
而且實際上,我們的產品 - 你們所看到的。

24.There's a target somewhere here.
這裡某個地方有個地雷。
25.You see an operator, a trained African with his rats in front who actually are left and right.
你看到了一個受過訓練的非洲探測者, 和在他前面的鼠 實際上是左右相伴。
26.There, the animal finds a mine.
鼠在那裡發現了地雷。
27.It scratches on the soil.
它挖土地。
28.And the animal comes back for a food reward.
然後鼠得到了食品獎勵。
29.Very, very simple.
非常,非常簡單。
30.Very sustainable in this environment.
非常環保。
31.Here, the animal gets its food reward.
這裡鼠得到了食品獎勵。
32.And that's how it works.
這是它的工作方式。
33.Very, very simple.
非常,非常簡單。
34.Now why would you use rats?
現在為什麼使用鼠呢?
35.Rats have been used since the '50s last century, in all kinds of experiments.
鼠自從上世紀50年代被使用 在各種各樣的實驗中。
36.Rats have more genetic material allocated to olfaction than any other mammal species.
鼠在嗅覺方面有更多的基因 相比於 其它哺乳動物。
37.They're extremely sensitive to smell.
它們對於味道非常敏感。
38.Moreover, they have the mechanisms to map all these smells and to communicate about it.
進而,它們具備確定這些味道方位的能力 並能夠表達出來。

39.Now how do we communicate with rats?
我們怎麼和鼠交流呢?
40.Well don't talk rat, but we have a clicker, a standard method for animal training, which you see there.
不用語言, 但是我們有一個發聲器, 一個標準的動物訓練的方法, 就是你看到的。
41.A clicker, which makes a particular sound with which you can reinforce particular behaviors.
一個發生器,發出特殊的聲音 可以強化某類特定行為。
42.First of all, we associate the click sound with a food reward, which is smashed banana and peanuts together in a syringe.
首先,我們將聲音與食品獎勵聯繫起來, 獎勵品是碎香蕉和花生做成的液體。
43.Once the animal knows click, food, click, food, click, food -- so click is food -- we bring it in a cage with a hole, and actually the animal learns
一旦鼠聽到了聲音,就有食物吃, 聲音,食物,聲音,食物 - 所以一旦有聲音就是食物的反應 - 我們把鼠帶到有個洞的籠子裡, 然後實際上鼠學會
44.to stick the nose in the hole under which a target scent is placed, and to do that for five seconds -- five seconds, which is long for a rat.
將鼻子放到洞口 下面帶有目標氣味的洞口, 它們停留5秒鐘 - 5秒鐘,對鼠來說很長。
45.Once the animal knows this, we make the task a bit more difficult.
一旦鼠知道了這個,我們讓任務變得難一些。
46.It learns how to find the target smell in a cage with several holes, up to 10 holes.
它學習如何找到目標氣味 在帶有一些洞的籠子裡,共有10個洞。
47.Then the animal learns to walk on a leash in the open and find targets.
然後鼠學會 拴著皮帶在空地上走 並發現目標。
48.In the next step, animals learn to find real mines in real minefields.
在下一步,鼠學會 在地雷區發現真正的地雷。
49.They are tested and accredited according to International Mine Action Standards, just like dogs have to pass a test.
它們被測試和認證 通過國際地雷工作標準, 就像狗通過測試一樣。

50.This consists of 400 square meters.
在這400平方米的雷區,
51.There's a number of mines placed blindly, and the team of trainer and their rat have to find all the targets.
那裡有一些地雷 隨意地擺放。 然後訓練者和他們的鼠 需要發現所有的目標。
52.If the animal does that, it gets a license as an accredited animal to be operational in the field -- just like dogs, by the way.
如果鼠成功了,它得到許可 作為被認證的動物 在雷區工作 - 就像狗。
53.Maybe one slight difference: we can train rats at a fifth of the price of training the mining dog.
可能一個很小的不同是 我們可以用五分之一的價錢訓練鼠 相比起訓練探雷狗的價錢。
54.This is our team in Mozambique: one Tanzanian trainer, who transfers the skills to these three Mozambican fellows.
這是我們在莫桑比克的隊伍。 一個坦桑尼亞的訓練者, 將本領傳授給 這三個莫桑比克同伴。
55.And you should see the pride in the eyes of these people.
你應該能夠看到他們眼中的自豪。
56.They have a skill, which makes them much less dependent on foreign aid.
他們有本領, 這使得他們更少得依靠 國外援助。
57.Moreover, this small team together with, of course, you need the heavy vehicles and the manual de-miners to follow-up.
進而,這個小團隊 當然也需要重型卡車 和人工排雷人員一起進行後續工作。
58.But with this small investment in a rat capacity, we have demonstrated in Mozambique that we can reduce the cost-price per square meter
但是通過在鼠本領上的很小投資, 我們在莫桑比克證明 我們可以將每平方米的成本降低
59.up to 60 percent of what is currently normal -- two dollars per square meter, we do it at $1.18, and we can still bring that price down.
百分之六十。 相比現在一般的情況 - 每平方米兩美元,我們是每平方米1.18美元, 而且我們還可以進一步降低。

60.Question of scale.
關於發展的問題。
61.If you can bring in more rats, we can actually make the output even bigger.
如果能夠使用更多的鼠, 我們就可以創造更大的產出。
62.We have a demonstration site in Mozambique.
我們在莫桑比克有演示地點。
63.Eleven African governments have seen that they can become less dependent by using this technology.
11個非洲政府 看到他們通過使用這種手段就可以變得更少依賴 外部援助。
64.They have signed the pact for peace and treaty in the Great Lakes region, and they endorse hero rats to clear their common borders of landmines.
他們簽訂了和平的協定 和在大湖區的公約。 然後他們支持英雄鼠 去清除公共邊界上的地雷。
65.But let me bring you to a very different problem.
但是讓我告訴你們一個完全不同的問題。
66.And there's about 6,000 people last year that walked on a landmine, but worldwide last year, almost 1.9 million died from tuberculosis
在去年大概有6000人 走到地雷上, 但是去年,全球有 近190萬人死於結核病
67.as a first cause of infection.
這成為傳染病的第一死因。
68.Especially in Africa where T.B. and HIV are strongly linked, there is a huge common problem.
尤其在非洲 結核病和艾滋病緊密地結合著, 這是一個巨大的共同的問題。
69.Microscopy, the standard WHO procedure, reaches from 40 to 60 percent reliability.
根據標準的世界衛生組織程序,顯微鏡 達到百分之四十到六十的可靠度。
70.In Tanzania -- the numbers don't lie -- 45 percent of people -- T.B. patients -- get diagnosed with T.B. before they die.
在坦桑尼亞 - 數字不會說謊 - 百分之四十五的人是結核病人 - 在死前被診斷出結核。
71.It means that, if you have T.B., you have more chance that you won't be detected, but will just die from T.B. secondary infections and so on.

這說明,如果你得了結核病, 你反而有更大的可能性不被檢測出不適, 但仍然通過結核第二期併發症等致死。
72.And if, however, you are detected very early, diagnosed early, treatment can start, and even in HIV-positives, it makes sense.
但是,如果 你很早被檢測出來,診斷出來, 治療可以開始。 然後即使是艾滋病陽性,這也是可以治療的。
73.You can actually cure T.B., even in HIV-positives.
事實上,你可以治癒結核病, 即便是艾滋病陽性病毒。
74.So in our common language, Dutch, the name for T.B.
所以在我們共同的語言,荷蘭語, 結核病的名稱
75.is "tering,"
是tering,
76.which, etymologically, refers to the smell of tar.
語源上是 焦油的味道。
77.Already the old Chinese and the Greek, Hippocrates, have actually published, documented, that T.B. can be diagnosed based on the volatiles
古代中國 和希臘希波克拉底, 實際上曾經發表了 也記載了結核病可以被診斷 通過
78.exuding from patients.
從病人身體排出的揮發物。
79.So what we did is we collected some samples -- just as a way of testing -- from hospitals, trained rats on them and see if this works,
所以我們做的是收集一些樣本 - 就像測試一樣 - 從醫院裡, 通過它們訓練鼠 然後看是否有效,
80.and wonder, well, we can reach 89 percent sensitivity, 86 percent specificity using multiple rats in a row.
並且驚奇發現, 我們的鼠可以達到百分之八十九的靈敏度, 百分之八十六的專一性 通過使用多隻鼠在一組測試。
81.This is how it works, and really, this is a generic technology.
這是工作的方式。 並且實際上,這是一般的技術。

82.We're talking now explosives, tuberculosis, but can you imagine, you can actually put anything under there.
我們現在討論的是有關爆炸物,結核, 但是你能想象, 你可以應用鼠於任何地方。
83.So how does it work?
所以怎麼工作呢?
84.You have a cassette with 10 samples.
你在小盒裡放10個樣本。
85.You put these 10 samples at once in the cage.
你一次在籠子裡放10個樣本。
86.An animal only needs two hundredths of a second to discriminate the scent, so it goes extremely fast.
一隻鼠僅需要0.005秒 去分辨氣味,所以是非常快的。
87.Here it's already at the third sample.
這裡已經是第三個樣本了。
88.This is a positive sample.
這是陽性樣本。
89.It gets a click sound and comes for the food reward.
它聽到響聲並得到食品獎勵。
90.And by doing so, very fast, we can have like a second-line opinion to see which patients are positive, which are negative.
這樣,非常快的, 我們可以得到附屬的觀點 去判斷病人的檢測是否呈陽性, 是否呈陰性。
91.Just as an indication, whereas a microscopist can process 40 samples in a day, a rat can process the same amount of samples in seven minutes only.
就像研究顯示, 當一個顯微鏡工作者能夠處理 每天40個樣本, 一隻鼠能夠處理 同等數量的樣本 僅在7分鐘。
92.A cage like this -- (Applause) A cage like this -- provided that you have rats, and we have now currently 25 tuberculosis rats -- a cage like this, operating throughout the day,
一個這樣的籠子 - (掌聲) 一個這樣的籠子 - 並且你有鼠, 現在我們有 25只結核探測鼠 - 一個這樣的籠子,每天運作,
93.can process 1,680 samples.
可以處理1680個樣本。
94.Can you imagine the potential offspring applications -- environmental detection of pollutants in soils, customs applications, detection of illicit goods in containers and so on.

你能想象可能的衍生應用 - 環境探測 土地中的汙染物, 海關應用, 探測容器中的非法物品等等。
95.But let's stick first to tuberculosis.
但是首先用於結核病。
96.I just want to briefly highlight, the blue rods are the scores of microscopy only at the five clinics in Dar es Salaam on a population of 500,000 people,
我想簡單得強調, 藍色的杆 是隻用顯微鏡的結果 在Dar es Salaam達累斯薩拉姆的五個診所 對50萬人,
97.where 15,000 reported to get a test done.
其中1萬5千人做過測試。
98.Microscopy for 1,800 patients.
這是1800個病人的顯微鏡結果。
99.And by just presenting the samples once more to the rats and looping those results back, we were able to increase case detection rates
然後通過將這些樣品多次交給鼠類 並將結果返回, 我們能夠將探測率提高
100.by over 30 percent.
超過百分之三十。
101.Throughout last year, we've been -- depending on which intervals you take -- we've been consistently increasing case detection rates
去年一整年, 我們 - 通過不同間隔時間 - 我們持續地 提高鼠探測率
102.in five hospitals in Dar es Salaam between 30 and 40 percent.
在達累斯薩拉姆的五個醫院 並使鼠探測率提高到百分之三十到四十之間。
103.So this is really considerable.
所以這真的是很可觀的。
104.Knowing that a missed patient by microscopy infects up to 15 people, healthy people, per year, you can be sure that we have saved lots of lives.
要知道,一個被顯微鏡誤診的患者 會感染15個人 - 每年15個健康的人, 你可以確定 我們拯救了很多生命。
105.At least our hero rats have saved lots of lives.
至少我們的英雄鼠拯救了很多生命。

106.The way forward for us is now to standardize this technology.
我們要做的是 現在去標準化這種技術。
107.And there are simple things like, for instance, we have a small laser in the sniffer hole where the animal has to stick for five seconds.
然後簡單的事情隨之出現 像,例如,我們在探測洞放小的激光 使鼠呆五秒。
108.So, to standardize this.
所以,去標準化這個事情。
109.Also, to standardize the pellets, the food rewards, and to semi-automate this in order to replicate this on a much larger scale and affect the lives of many more people.
而且,去標準化小球, 食品獎勵, 去半自動化這個事 為了能夠在更大的範圍內得到推廣 並且挽救到更多人的生命。
110.To conclude, there are also other applications at the horizon.
作為結束,還有很多類似的其他應用。
111.Here is a first prototype of our camera rat, which is a rat with a rat backpack with a camera that can go under rubble to detect for victims
這是第一個模型 對我們的相機鼠, 揹著揹包 內裝有一個相機可以在地震後走到碎石底下 去探測受害者
112.after earthquake and so on.
等等。
113.This is in a prototype stage.
這是在模型階段。
114.We don't have a working system here yet.
我們還沒有運作系統。
115.To conclude, I would actually like to say, you may think this is about rats, these projects, but in the end it is about people.
作為結尾,我實際想要說, 你可能想這都有關於鼠,這些活動都涉及鼠, 但是最後這都是關於人類。
116.It is about empowering vulnerable communities to tackle difficult, expensive and dangerous humanitarian detection tasks, and doing that with a local resource,
這是關於給予弱小群體能力 去處理困難棘手的,昂貴的 和危險的人類探測工作, 並且應用當地的資源 -

117.plenty available.
很多現成的資源。
118.So something completely different is to keep on challenging your perception about the resources surrounding you, whether they are environmental,
所以現在很不一樣的是 不斷地挑戰大家 對周圍的資源認知, 不管是環境的,
119.technological, animal, or human.
技術的,動物或人類的認知。
120.And to respectfully harmonize with them in order to foster a sustainable work.
然後我們要尊重並和它們和諧共處 為了實現可持續的工作。
121.Thank you very much.
非常感謝。/<code>

結束語

如果您需要本期音頻相關的學習資料,可以留言或私信回覆關鍵字:"20200322T07",系統會自動回覆您下載地址(內容包括:視頻+音頻+文稿),資料僅供個人學習使用。


分享到:


相關文章: