When I come to be old当我变老时

​​When I come to be old

当我变老时


Not to Marry a young Woman.

不与年轻女子结婚。

Not to Keep young Company unless they really desire it.

不与年轻人为伍,除非他们自己很想这样。

Not to Be peevish or morose, or suspicious.

不易怒或阴郁,抑或多疑。

Not to Scorn present Ways, or Wits, or Fashions, or Men, or War, etc.

不看轻当下的风气,或俏皮话,或时尚,或人物,或战争之类的。

Not to Be fond of Children, or let them come near me hardly.

不喜爱小孩儿,或让他们太接近我。

Not to Tell the same Story over and over to the same People.

不对同一群人一遍又一遍地说同一个故事。

Not to Be covetous.

不觊觎。

Not to Neglect decency, or cleanliness, for fear of falling into Nastiness.

不忽视体面或清洁,以防堕入污秽。

Not to Be over severe with young People, but give Allowances for their youthfull follies, and Weaknesses.

不苛求年轻人,而是宽容他们年轻的蠢行和弱点。

Not to Be influenced by, or give ear to knavish tattling Servants, or others.

不被不诚实的仆人或他人影响,不听他们的话。

Not to Be too free of advise nor trouble any but those that desire it.

不随便给人建议,或麻烦任何不渴望被麻烦的人。

Not to Desire some good Friends to inform me which of these Resolutions I break, or neglect, & wherein; and reform accordingly.

要恳请好朋友们来告知我,这些决心我哪条没做到或忽视了,具体是哪件事;并据此改正。

Not to Talk much, nor of my self.

不话多,也不多谈自己。

Not to Boast of my former beauty, or strength, or favour with Ladies, etc.

不吹嘘我过去的美貌,或力量,或女士们的青睐之类的。

Not to Hearken to Flatteries, nor conceive I can be beloved by a young woman. et eos qui hereditatem captant odisse ac vitare.

不听信奉承话,或妄想我会被一个年轻女人爱上;要痛恨并躲开那些来抢遗产的。

Not to Be positive or opinionated.

不主观臆断。

Not to Sett up for observing all these Rules, for fear I should observe none.

不预设自己会遵守这全部规则;恐怕我一条都遵守不了。


Jonathan Swift

作者 / [英国] 乔纳森·斯威夫特

When I come to be old当我变老时


分享到:


相關文章: