英語聽力(20200322T05):對可持續餐廳的展望


聽力原文如下

<code>1.Restaurants and the food industry in general are pretty much the most wasteful industry in the world.
一般說來餐廳和食品業 大概是世界上 最浪費資源的產業。
2.For every calorie of food that we consume here in Britain today, 10 calories are taken to produce it.
現在我們在英國所消耗的每一卡路里的食物, 就需要耗用十倍的熱量來生產,
3.That's a lot.
真的很多。
4.I want to take something rather humble to discuss.
我想要來談談一些 較為簡樸的作法。
5.I found this in the farmers' market today, and if anybody wants to take it home and mash it later, you're very welcome to.
這是我今天在自由市場找到的, 如果有誰想要帶回家搗成泥,就請便吧。
6.The humble potato -- and I've spent a long time, 25 years, preparing these.
這只是個馬鈴薯, 我花了很長的時間 -- 25年 -- 才想出這個道理。
7.And it pretty much goes through eight different forms in its lifetime.
在它的生命裡, 大約會歷經八個不同的形式。
8.First of all, it's planted, and that takes energy.
首先,我們要栽種,這就耗掉不少能源,
9.It grows and is nurtured.
馬鈴薯會成長,也會吸收養份,
10.It's then harvested.
我們才能收成。
11.It's then distributed, and distribution is a massive issue.
接下來則是經銷 經銷牽扯到的問題很多。
12.It's then sold and bought, and it's then delivered to me.
然後經過買賣, 送到了我的手上,

13.I basically take it, prepare it, and then people consume it -- hopefully they enjoy it.
我則是準備拿來烹調, 讓人們吃下肚,希望大家都能滿意。
14.The last stage is basically waste, and this is is pretty much where everybody disregards it.
最後的階段則是廢棄物處理, 這也是大家最為忽略的階段。
15.There are different types of waste.
浪費可分為幾種型態,
16.There's a waste of time; there's a waste of space; there's a waste of energy; and there's a waste of waste.
有人浪費時間、有人浪費空間、有人浪費能源, 也有人浪費廢棄物。
17.And every business I've been working on over the past five years, I'm trying to lower each one of these elements.
我在過去五年 所參與過的每一項工作裡, 都致力於降低浪費。
18.Okay, so you ask what a sustainable restaurant looks like.
好,你會問到底注重環保的餐廳長什麼樣子?
19.Basically a restaurant just like any other.
其實這種餐廳和別的沒有什麼不同,
20.This is the restaurant, Acorn House.
就是個餐廳,這間叫做「橡實屋」,
21.Front and back.
正面和背面的照片。
22.So let me run you through a few ideas.
我來說明幾個觀念:
23.Floor: sustainable, recyclable.
地板:耐磨、可回收利用。
24.Chairs: recycled and recyclable.
椅子:回收製作,且可再回收利用。
25.Tables: Forestry Commission.
桌子:契約林地生產製造。
26.This is Norwegian Forestry Commission wood.
這是用挪威契約林地生產的木材所製造,

27.This bench, although it was uncomfortable for my mom -- she didn't like sitting on it, so she went and bought these cushions for me from a local jumble sale --
這張長椅,雖然我媽坐上去很不舒服, 她很不喜歡坐在上頭, 但她跑到當地的雜貨拍賣店買了些椅墊,
28.reusing, a job that was pretty good.
全是回收再製作的,手工還不賴。
29.I hate waste, especially walls.
我討厭浪費,尤其是牆壁,
30.If they're not working, put a shelf on it, which I did, and that shows all the customers my products.
如果空著沒用,就放個架子上去,我就是這麼做的, 還可以向顧客展示我的產品。
31.The whole business is run on sustainable energy.
整間餐廳都是使用可再生能源,
32.This is powered by wind. All of the lights are daylight bulbs.
像是利用風力發電,裡面的燈泡也全都改成日光燈,
33.Paint is all low-volume chemical, which is very important when you're working in the room all the time.
油漆則是選用化學成份最低的品牌, 這對全天都在餐廳裡工作的人來說是很重要的。
34.I was experimenting with these -- I don't know if you can see it -- but there's a work surface there.
我一直在實驗這個,我不知道你們是否看得出來, 但我在這表面還多漆了一層,
35.And that's a plastic polymer.
那是塑化聚合物。
36.And I was thinking, well I'm trying to think nature, nature, nature.
我一直在想著要用自然的東西,
37.But I thought, no, no, experiment with resins, experiment with polymers.
但我想也可以用合成樹脂來做些實驗, 用聚合物做些實驗。
38.Will they outlive me? They probably might.
這些東西會比我長壽嗎?很可能會。

39.Right, here's a reconditioned coffee machine.
這是一臺重新調整過的咖啡機,
40.It actually looks better than a brand new one -- so looking good there.
看起來比一臺新的還要好,擺在這裡真好。
41.Now reusing is vital.
重新回收利用資源是很重要的,
42.And we filter our own water.
我們還過濾自己要喝的水,
43.We put them in bottles, refrigerate them, and then we reuse that bottle again and again and again.
把水裝進瓶子裡,放進冰箱, 一再地重覆使用同一個瓶子。
44.Here's a great little example.
這裡還有一個很棒的小例子,
45.If you can see this orange tree, it's actually growing in a car tire, which has been turned inside out and sewn up.
看看這株橘子樹,它其實是被種在一個汽車輪胎裡, 我們把車胎內面翻出來,再縫起來而已。
46.It's got my compost in it, which is growing an orange tree, which is great.
我還放了些堆肥在裡頭,就長出了這株橘子樹,很棒吧!
47.This is the kitchen, which is in the same room.
這是廚房,就在同一個房間裡。
48.I basically created a menu that allowed people to choose the amount and volume of food that they wanted to consume.
我設計了菜單,它可以讓人們 挑選食物的份量, 這樣大家就可以各取所需,
49.Rather than me putting a dish down, they were allowed to help themselves to as much or as little as they wanted.
而不是每次都由我端出相同份量的菜餚, 我要讓顧客自己決定自己要吃多少份量。
50.Okay, it's a small kitchen. It's about five square meters.
好,這個廚房不大,大約只有五平方公尺而已,

51.It serves 220 people a day.
但一天卻可以供應220人用餐。
52.We generate quite a lot of waste.
我們每天會製造出許多廢物,
53.This is the waste room.
就堆在這個廢棄物室。
54.You can't get rid of waste.
人們不可能不製造廢棄物,
55.But this story's not about eliminating it, it's about minimizing it.
但我要說的不是去消滅廢棄物,而是儘量減少廢棄物的產生。
56.In here, I have produce and boxes that are unavoidable.
我會產生廢棄物,還得處理廢棄物, 這都是免不了的工作。
57.I put my food waste into this dehydrating, desiccating macerator -- turns food into an inner material, which I can store and then compost later.
我把廢棄的食品放進乾燥脫水機裡, 把它們變成乾燥的狀態, 我就可以先儲存著,日後再來做堆肥。
58.I compost it in this garden.
我在院子裡製作堆肥,
59.All of the soil you can see there is basically my food, which is generated by the restaurant, and it's growing in these tubs, which I made out of storm-felled trees
你在院子裡看到的所有土壤,其實都是食物殘渣, 是餐廳裡的廢物垃圾, 我把廚餘放進我用漂流木
60.and wine casks and all kinds of things.
和酒桶這類東西做出這些管子的
61.Three compost bins -- go through about 70 kilos of raw vegetable waste a week -- really good, makes fantastic compost.
三個堆肥箱子... 每週要處理大約70公斤的蔬菜廚餘, 真的很棒,是很棒的堆肥,
62.A couple of wormeries in there too.
也有很多蟲子住在裡頭。
63.And actually one of the wormeries was a big wormery. I had a lot of worms in it.

其中有一種蟲子真的很大, 各種蟲子都有,
64.And I tried taking the dried food waste, putting it to the worms, going, "There you go, dinner."
有一次我還把一些乾燥的廚餘, 拿到蟲子前面說:「給你當晚餐。」
65.It was like vegetable jerky, and killed all of them.
可能是那片乾燥蔬菜有問題吧... 蟲子全都死了。
66.I don't know how many worms [were] in there, but I've got some heavy karma coming, I tell you.
我不知道里頭到底有多少蟲子, 但我想我會有很嚴重的報應吧!
67.(Laughter) What you're seeing here is a water filtration system.
(笑聲) 你現在看到的是濾水系統,
68.This takes the water out of the restaurant, runs it through these stone beds -- this is going to be mint in there -- and I sort of water the garden with it.
水會從這裡流到餐廳外面, 流過這一層石頭來過濾,這裡應該有種些薄荷才對, 我會用過濾過的水來澆花。
69.And I ultimately want to recycle that, put it back into the loos, maybe wash hands with it, I don't know.
我還想更進一步來回收利用這些水, 或許用來洗手吧,我不知道。
70.So, water is a very important aspect.
水是很重要的一環,
71.I started meditating on that and created a restaurant called Waterhouse.
我深入研究之後, 開了一家叫做「水屋」的餐廳。
72.If I could get Waterhouse to be a no-carbon restaurant that is consuming no gas to start with, that would be great.
如果我能把「水屋」打造成一個沒有碳排放的餐廳, 就從不用瓦斯開始,那一定很棒!
73.I managed to do it.
我一定會想辦法做到的!
74.This restaurant looks a little bit like Acorn House -- same chairs, same tables.
這家餐廳看起來有點像橡實屋, 同樣的桌椅,

75.They're all English and a little bit more sustainable.
全都是英國製造,而且很耐用,
76.But this is an electrical restaurant.
但這間餐廳是間電氣餐廳,
77.The whole thing is electric, the restaurant and the kitchen.
全部只使用電,包含餐廳和廚房,
78.And it's run on hydroelectricity, so I've gone from air to water.
全都是靠水力發電, 所以我已經用過風力和水力發電了。
79.Now it's important to understand that this room is cooled by water, heated by water, filters its own water, and it's powered by water.
各位要了解一點, 這很重要, 這個房間是靠水來降溫,也靠水來供應暖氣, 回收的水會再過濾, 運用水來發電,
80.It literally is Waterhouse.
名符其實的水屋。
81.The air handling system inside it -- I got rid of air-conditioning because I thought there was too much consumption going on there.
裡頭的排風系統, 我沒有使用空調, 因為我覺得太耗能源了,
82.This is basically air-handling.
所以只簡單使用這種排風系統,
83.I'm taking the temperature of the canal outside, pumping it through the heat exchange mechanism, it's turning through these amazing sails on the roof,
我把外面河道的溫度引進來, 利用熱能交換的機制把它抽進來, 靠屋頂上那些令人驚歎的帆轉動,
84.and that, in turn, is falling softly onto the people in the restaurant, cooling them, or heating them, as the need may be.
讓風緩緩地降在餐廳客人身上, 讓他們感受到涼風,或是熱風,隨季節而定。
85.And this is an English willow air diffuser, and that's softly moving that air current through the room.
這是英國制的柳條風扇, 它緩慢地轉動, 讓氣流在房間裡流動。
86.Very advanced, no air-conditioning -- I love it.
非常先進,完全沒有使用空調 -- 我愛這玩意兒

87.In the canal, which is just outside the restaurant, there is hundreds of meters of coil piping.
在餐廳外面有一條河, 我們架設了數百公尺的管線,
88.This takes the temperature of the canal and turns it into this four-degrees of heat exchange.
把河道上的溫度 和室內溫度交換,大約有4度的溫差。
89.I have no idea how it works, but I paid a lot of money for it.
我不知道這是怎樣做到的,但我花了一大筆錢做這個。
90.(Laughter) And what's great is one of the chefs who works in that restaurant lives on this boat -- it's off-grid; it generates all its own power.
(笑聲) 最棒的是,有一個在餐廳裡工作的廚師, 就住在船上,完全不使用電,而是自行發電,
91.He's growing all his own fruit, and that's fantastic.
他種植自己所需的水果,真是太棒了!
92.There's no accident in names of these restaurants.
這些餐廳的命名是有意義的,
93.Acorn House is the element of wood; Waterhouse is the element of water; and I'm thinking, well, I'm going to be making five restaurants based
橡實屋的主題是木材,水屋的主題是水, 我在想,我想要有 五間餐廳,
94.on the five Chinese medicine acupuncture specialities.
要以中國的五行為主題,
95.I've got water and wood. I'm just about to do fire.
我已經有水和木了,我還要開一間火餐廳,
96.I've got metal and earth to come.
還有以金和土為主題的餐廳。
97.So you've got to watch your space for that.
各位等著瞧吧!
98.Okay. So this is my next project.
好,這是我的下一個計畫,
99.Five weeks old, it's my baby, and it's hurting real bad.
我想五個星期了, 它是我的寶貝兒,真的很不好做,

100.The People's Supermarket.
我要開一間「平民超市」。
101.So basically, the restaurants only really hit people who believed in what I was doing anyway.
基本上,我開的餐廳 只能吸引那些與我志同道合的顧客,
102.What I needed to do was get food out to a broader spectrum of people.
但我想要把我的食物 推廣給更廣泛的人群。
103.So people -- i.e., perhaps, more working-class -- or perhaps people who actually believe in a cooperative.
我的目標是藍領階級, 或是那些相信互相合作的人,
104.This is a social enterprise, not-for-profit cooperative supermarket.
這是一個社會型企業, 不以營利為目的的超市。
105.It really is about the social disconnect between food, communities in urban settings and their relationship to rural growers -- connecting communities in London to rural growers.
我們在這裡只談食物 和都市社區間的 社會聯繫, 以及社區和農夫間的關係, 我們要把倫敦社區和農夫的關係重新建立起來,
106.Really important.
這真的很重要。
107.So I'm committing to potatoes; I'm committing to milk; I'm committing to leeks and broccoli -- all very important stuff.
我要賣馬鈴薯,我要賣牛奶, 我要賣蔥和西蘭花 -- 全都是很重要的食物。
108.I've kept the tiles; I've kept the floors; I've kept the trunking; I've got in some recycled fridges; I've got some recycled tills; I've got some recycled trolleys.
我已經鋪好地磚,整理好地板, 準備好箱子,也準備了一些回收再利用的冰箱, 還有回收再利用的收銀機和手推車。
109.I mean, the whole thing is is super-sustainable.
這整個計畫簡直是超極環保的,
110.In fact, I'm trying and I'm going to make this the most sustainable supermarket in the world.
實際上,我想要把這間超市 打造成全世界最環保的超市。

111.That's zero food waste.
完全沒有食物浪費,
112.And no one's doing that just yet.
還沒有人這麼做過。
113.In fact, Sainsbury's, if you're watching, let's have a go. Try it on.
事實上,如果你關注一下, 只有聖貝瑞超市在進行嘗試,
114.I'm going to get there before you.
我會比他們更早做到!
115.So nature doesn't create waste doesn't create waste as such.
自然就不會有浪費, 不會出現這麼浪費的情形。
116.Everything in nature is used up in a closed continuous cycle with waste being the end of the beginning, and that's been something that's been nurturing me for some time,
自然界的一切都是在一個封閉的循環裡流動, 廢棄物會是終點也是起點, 終有一天我們也會受益於這些廢棄物,
117.and it's an important statement to understand.
這是我們必須瞭解的重要觀念。
118.If we don't stand up and make a difference and think about sustainable food, think about the sustainable nature of it, then we may fail.
如果我們不挺身而出, 為世界做出一些改變, 如果我們不去思考食物的可持續性, 不去思考大自然的可持續性, 我們終有一天會滅亡。
119.But, I wanted to get up and show you that we can do it if we're more responsible.
我要身先士卒,讓各位知道, 我們只要多擔當一些責任就可以做到,
120.Environmentally conscious businesses are doable.
有環保意識的商業是可行的,
121.They're here. You can see I've done three so far; I've got a few more to go.
這種公司是存在的,我就已經有三家這樣的公司了, 我還會繼續做下去。
122.The idea is embryonic.

這個觀念還在萌芽階段,
123.I think it's important.
我認為這很重要,
124.I think that if we reduce, reuse, refuse and recycle -- right at the end there -- recycling is the last point I want to make; but it's the four R's, rather than the three R's --
我們要做到減量、重覆使用、拒絕浪費、 回收利用,都寫在這下面。 回收再利用是我要強調的最後一個重點, 所以總共有四個重點,而不只是三個而已。
125.then I think we're going to be on our way.
我想我們正在理想中前行。
126.So these three are not perfect -- they're ideas.
這三家公司還不是很完美,他們代表了我的想法。
127.I think that there are many problems to come, but with help, I'm sure I'm going to find solutions.
我想我們會遇到許多困難, 但有了大家的協助,我相信一定能找到解決之道,
128.And I hope you all take part.
我希望各位都能參與其中。/<code>

結束語

如果您需要本期音頻相關的學習資料,可以留言或私信回覆關鍵字:"20200322T05",系統會自動回覆您下載地址(內容包括:視頻+音頻+文稿),資料僅供個人學習使用。


分享到:


相關文章: