「聽&讀」致親愛的貝茜

「聽&讀」致親愛的貝茜

「聽&讀」致親愛的貝茜

■■■■■

29th, January 1945.

1945年1月29日。

My dearest one, I have just heard the news that all the Army men taken POW are to return totheir homes.

我的摯愛,我剛剛聽到一個消息。戰俘們就要返鄉了。

Because of the shipping situation we may not commence to go before the end of February, butcan probably count on being in England sometime in March, maybe sooner.

鑑於航運情況,二月底之前我們可能都上不了船。不過三月應該就能回到英國了。也許更快。

It's made me very warm inside.

想到這兒,我心裡暖洋洋的。

It is terrific, wonderful, shattering.

激動、喜悅、興奮。

I don't know what to say. And I cannot think.

無以言表,我甚至沒法思考。

The delay is nothing, the decision is everything.

延誤算不了什麼。只要有能回家的決定就夠了。

I must spend the first days at home. I must consider getting a party somewhere.

剛回去那幾天我要待在家裡,可能會辦個聚會。

Above all I must be with you.

但最重要的是一定要和你在一起。

I must warm you, surround you, love you, and be kind to you.

我一定要哄你開心,和你形影不離,寵著你。

I would prefer not to get married, but want you to agree on the point.

我個人更希望不結婚,但必須徵得你的同意。

In the battle I was afraid,for you, for my mother, for myself.

在戰場上,我很害怕。擔心你和我的母親,也擔心我自己。

Wait we must, my love, my darling, let us meet, let us be, let us know.

我們必須等待,我的愛人,我的寶貝。

But do not let us now make any mistakes.

我們必須相見,在一起互相瞭解。但不能犯下錯誤。

How good for us to see each other before I am completely bald.

真好,在我頭髮掉光之前還能見到你。

I have some fine little wisps of hair on the top of my head.

我頭頂上還有幾縷頭髮。

It's not much good me trying to write about recent experiences, now that I know I should beable to tell you everything myself within such a short time.

已經沒什麼必要給你講我最近的經歷了。因為不久我就能面對面地向你述說。

What I have my eye on now is the first letter from you saying that you know I am all right andthe next saying you know I am coming to you.

眼下我手邊放著你給我的第一封信,說你知道我已平安。還有第二封說你知道我就要回去了。

Plan a week somewhere, not Boscombe or Bournemouth.

我們去那兒待一週吧,只要不是博斯庫姆或伯恩茅斯就行。

Think of being together.

想想看,就我們倆。

The glory of you.

你是如此美麗。

I hope you will not start buying any clothes if you have any coupons left because you think youmust look nice for me.

我希望你別去添置衣服,就算你的折價券還沒用光,你可能覺得需要為了迎接我而精心打扮。

Just carry on as near as possible to normal.

但我只希望看到最平常的你。

I shall tell my family I hope to spend a week away with you somewhere during my leave.

我會告訴家人回家期間我想要花上一週和你一起外出。

My counsel to you is to tell as few people as possible to avoid preening yourself and sayingmuch.

我建議知道這件事的人越少越好。這樣免去了炫耀的嫌疑,也省了口舌。

This is my advice, not anything but that. Hope you understand.

這是我的建議,並沒什麼重要。希望你能理解。

I do not ever want it to be anything but our affair. Do not permit any intrusion.

我希望這是完全屬於我們的時光。我不想受任何打擾。

I do not know how long a leave I shall get. I could get as little as 14 days I may get as much asa month.

我不知道我能放多久的假期,可能只有14天,也可能有足足一個月。

I'm wondering how I shall tell you I am in England. Probably still quicker to send a telegramthan a letter.

到達英國之後我該如何告訴你呢。可能發電報比寄信快。

I hope to send you one announcing that I am on the same island.

我希望一踏上英國土地我就發電報通知你。

I would send another one I am actually soon to get to the London bound train and you can ringLee Green 0905 when you think I have arrived there.

登上火車前往倫敦之前還會再給你發一封,你覺得快到了就打Lee Green 0905。

It's a strange thing because I cannot seem to get going and write very freely.

真奇怪,因為想到要出發,我反而沒辦法好好寫信了。

All I am thinking about is I am going home, I am going to see her.

我腦子裡想的全是“我要回家了!我要見到她了!”

It's a fact, a real thing, an impending event like Shrove Tuesday, X' mas Day, or the LordMayor's Banquet.

這是事實,千真萬確。像是懺悔節、聖誕節或者市長大人的宴會一樣近在眼前。

You have to be abroad, you have to be hermetically sealed off from you intimates from youhome to realize what a gift this going-home is.

只有遠在海外漂泊,徹底與親朋摯友切斷聯繫才懂得回家是怎樣的幸福。

The few letters of yours that I had on me I burnt the day previous to our surrender so noone but myself has read your words.

我隨身帶著你的幾封信,但在投降前一天我把它們都燒了。所以你的話語只有我讀過。

It's a pity that the winter weather will not be kind to us out of doors.

真遺憾,現在是寒冬,在屋外我們得忍受嚴寒。

But it would be nice sitting next to you at the pictures no matter what may be on the screen.

但只要想到是和你坐在一起,無論在哪都是幸福。

It would be grand to be having each other's support and sympathy.

我們彼此支持,相互理解真是三生有幸。

It would be wonderful to be together,really together in the flesh, not just to know that a letteris all we can send.

能和你在一起是多麼美妙,而不是互通書信,是真的和你在一起,肌膚相親。

I Love you, Chris.

我愛你。克里斯。


分享到:


相關文章: