英語聽力(20200321T05):讓我們一起來簡化法律術語


聽力原文如下

<code>1.So, basically we have public leaders, public officials who are out of control; they are writing bills that are unintelligible, and out of these bills are going to come
所以,總的來說我們有些領導人、 政府官員辦事出格。 他們寫的是無法解讀的議案。 從這些議案將會產生出
2.maybe 40,000 pages of regulations, total complexity, which has a dramatically negative impact on our life.
約40,000頁的條文,非常複雜, 其對我們的生活將產生極為不利的影響。
3.If you're a veteran coming back from Iraq or Vietnam you face a blizzard of paperwork to get your benefits; if you're trying to get a small business loan,
如果你是從伊拉克或是越南戰場回來的老兵, 想得到你的救濟金,你得做一大堆棘手的文書工作, 如果你想獲得一小筆商業貸款,
4.you face a blizzard of paperwork.
你也會面臨一大堆棘手的文書工作。
5.What are we going to do about it? I define simplicity as a means to achieving clarity, transparency and empathy, building humanity into communications.
對此,我們應該如何去做?我將簡單化定義為 一種能達到清晰、 透明和共鳴, 使交流人性化的一種方法。
6.I've been simplifying things for 30 years.
30年來我一直致力於事物的簡化。
7.I come out of the advertising and design business.
我是做廣告和設計的。
8.My focus is understanding you people, and how you interact with the government to get your benefits, how you interact with corporations to decide whom you're going to do business with,
我的關注點是瞭解大眾, 瞭解你們如何與政府打交道, 去得到你們應得的利益, 瞭解你們如何與公司打交道而決定你們要與誰去做生意,
9.and how you view brands.
以及瞭解你們如何看待品牌。

10.So, very quickly, when President Obama said, "I don't see why we can't have a one-page, plain English consumer credit agreement."
所以,當奧巴馬總統說 “我不明白為什麼我們不能有 一份一頁的簡單英語消費信貸協議”時
11.So, I locked myself in a room, figured out the content, organized the document, and wrote it in plain English.
我把自己關在一個房間裡 很快想出了這樣一個內容, 制定了這樣一個文件,並且是用簡單英語寫的。
12.I've had this checked by the two top consumer credit lawyers in the country.
我讓國內兩個頂級 消費信貸律師對其進行了審核。
13.This is a real thing.
這是件真事。
14.Now, I went one step further and said, "Why do we have to stick with the stodgy lawyers and just have a paper document? Let's go online."
現在我又進了一步, “為什麼我們只能有一份紙質文件 並且非要依附於那些墨守成規的律師呢?讓我們上網去解決“。
15.And many people might need help in computation.
許多人 可能在計算上需要幫助。
16.Working with the Harvard Business School, you'll see this example when you talk about minimum payment: If you spent 62 dollars for a meal,
與哈佛商學院合作時, 我們有一個關於最低還款額的案例。 你一頓飯花了62美元,
17.the longer you take to pay out that loan, you see, over a period of time using the minimum payment it's 99 dollars and 17 cents.
如果你採用最低還款額延期還款的作法, 過了一段時間, 則需還款99美元17美分。
18.How about that? Do you think your bank is going to show that to people?
你覺得怎麼樣?你認為銀行會向人們告知嗎?
19.But it's going to work. It's more effective than just computational aids.
但它就是這樣運作的。它比僅僅計算 貨款時間更有效。
20.And what about terms like "over the limit"?

你如何理解有些詞彙 例如超過限度?
21.Perhaps a stealth thing.
也許這是一件隱匿的事情。
22.Define it in context. Tell people what it means.
通過上下文來定義它,告訴人們它是什麼意思。
23.When you put it in plain English, you almost force the institution to give the people a way, a default out of that, and not put themselves at risk.
在你使用簡單英語表述時, 你實際上就迫使這家機構 使人們瞭解如何去規避風險, 而不是把自己置於風險之中。
24.Plain English is about changing the content.
簡單英語也就是 改變內容。
25.And one of the things I'm most proud of is this agreement for IBM.
我很驕傲的一件事 是我為IBM製作的這份協議。
26.It's a grid, it's a calendar.
它以簡單的網格形式,是一個日曆。
27.At such and such a date, IBM has responsibilities, you have responsibilities.
在這個日期,IBM承擔責任, 你承擔責任。
28.Received very favorably by business.
這個作法在商務領域被欣然接受了。
29.And there is some good news to report today.
今天我有好消息要講。
30.Each year, one in 10 taxpayers receives a notice from the IRS.
每年每10個納稅人中有一個 會收到美國國稅局通知。
31.There are 200 million letters that go out.
那就是要發出2億封信。
32.Running through this typical letter that they had, I ran it through my simplicity lab, it's pretty unintelligible.
我處理了一部分典型信件, 我是在我的簡單化實驗室進行的, 結果是它們很讓人費解。

33.All the parts of the document in red are not intelligible.
文件中所有標紅的部分都讓人費解。
34.We looked at doing over 1,000 letters that cover 70 percent of their transactions in plain English.
我們又看了1000多封以簡單英語寫的信, 它們涵蓋了70%的業務。
35.They have been tested in the laboratory.
這些信件在我的實驗室進行了測試。
36.When I run it through my lab, this heat-mapping shows everything is intelligible.
當我在我的實驗室測試時, 熱點圖顯示每一件事 都是簡單易懂的。
37.And the IRS has introduced the program.
國稅局已經引進了這個程序。
38.(Applause) There are a couple of things going on right now that I want to bring to your attention.
(鼓掌) 我想讓你們注意 現在正在做的一些事情。
39.There is a lot of discussion now about a consumer financial protection agency, how to mandate simplicity.
現在有許多討論 是關於消費金融保護署的, 如何使其工作程序簡單化。
40.We see all this complexity.
我們都看到它的複雜性。
41.It's incumbent upon us, and this organization, I believe, to make clarity, transparency and empathy a national priority.
我相信我們 和他們都有義不容辭的責任, 使國家重點項目清晰、透明 和與大眾有共鳴感。
42.There is no way that we should allow government to communicate the way they communicate.
我們無法再允許政府 按照他們的表達方式進行表達,
43.There is no way we should do business with companies that have agreements with stealth provisions and that are unintelligible.
我們無法再與協議中 帶有隱匿、晦澀難懂條款的公司 做生意。
44.So, how are we going to change the world?
那麼,我們如何去改變世界?

45.Make clarity, transparency and simplicity a national priority.
那就是使國家重點項目清晰、透明並且簡單化。
46.I thank you.
謝謝大家。/<code>

結束語

如果您需要本期音頻相關的學習資料,可以留言或私信回覆關鍵字:"20200321T05",系統會自動回覆您下載地址(內容包括:視頻+音頻+文稿),資料僅供個人學習使用。


分享到:


相關文章: