双语悦读《木偶奇遇记》第18天

Chapter13

The Inn of the Red Lobster

红龙虾旅馆

They walked and walked and walked until they arrived at the Inn of the Red Lobster

, tired to death.

猫、狐狸和小木偶走啊走啊走。终于来到了红龙虾旅馆,可把他们累坏了。

"Let us stop here a little," said the Fox, "just long enough to get something to eat and rest ourselves. At midnight we can arrive at the Field of Wonders."

"我们在这儿歇歇吧,"狐狸说,"我们还有时间吃点东西休息一下。然后我们半夜再出发前往奇迹之地。"

They entered the inn and seated themselves at the table, but none of them was hungry. The poor Cat felt very much indisposed and could eat only thirty-five mullets with tomato sauce and four portions of tripe; and because the tripe did not taste just right he called three times for butter and cheese to put on it.

一行三人走进旅馆,围着一张桌子坐了下来。不过他们谁都不觉得有多饿。可怜的猫好像有点不舒服,仅仅就着番茄汁吃了三十五条乌鱼,和四份牛肚。因为牛肚实在太不好吃了,猫又叫了三份黄油奶酪才填饱肚子。

The Fox would willingly have ordered something, but as the doctor had told him to diet, he had to be contented with a nice fresh rabbit dressed with the giblets of chicken. After the rabbit, he ordered, as a finish to his meal, some partridges, some pheasants, some frogs, some lizards, and some bird of paradise eggs; and then he did not wish any more. He had such a distaste for food, he said, that he could not eat another mouthful.

狐狸呢,他很想点些什么,但谁让医生这个时候让他节食呢,所以他只能吃一些新鲜的东西,心满意足地吃完小野兔配鸡杂。然后,他又点了几只鹧鸪、几只山鸡、加上几只青蛙、蜥蜴,还有一些极乐鸟蛋,这才算吃完他的晚餐。由于他吃得太饱对任何东西都没有胃口了,他说,他撑得多一口都吃不下了。

Pinocchio ate the least of all. He asked for a piece of meat and some bread, but left everything on his plate. He could think of nothing but the Field of Wonders.

匹诺曹吃得最少。他点了一块肉和一些面包,却几乎动都没动。这可怜的小伙计满脑子都是奇迹之地,正经受着金币消化不良的折磨呢。

When they had supped the Fox said to the host: "Give me two good rooms, one for Mr. Pinocchio and another for me and my companion. Before we go we will ring the bell. Remember, however, to wake us at midnight so that we can go on with our journey."

吃过晚饭,狐狸对旅馆老板说:"要两间房,一间给匹诺曹,一间给我和我朋友。我们出发前要小睡一会。不过记得午夜十二点整来叫醒我们,因为我们还要继续赶路。"

"All right, sir," replied the host; and he winked his eye at the Fox and the Cat, as if to say, "We understand each other."

"遵命,先生。"老板回答,还冲着狐狸和猫挤了挤眼,似乎在说"我懂"一样。

Pinocchio had scarcely jumped into bed when he fell asleep and began to dream. He seemed to be in a field full of arbors, and each arbor was overgrown with vines covered with large bunches of grapes. Instead of grapes, however, they were all gold pieces, that made a noise when the wind blew; zin-zin-zin-zin. It was just as if they said, "Here we are! Let who will come and take us." When Pinocchio was on the point of reaching for them he heard a loud knocking at the door of his room.

It was the landlord who came to tell him that the clock had struck midnight.

匹诺曹一沾到床就沉沉睡去,还做了个梦。梦里,他置身于一片长满乔木田地的中央,每一片乔木上都长满了葡萄藤,葡萄藤上挂满了大串大串的葡萄。那些果实可不就是金灿灿的金币吗!?它们在微风中摇曳,欢乐地闪着光,仿佛是在说:"谁想要我们就拿走吧!"正当匹诺曹伸长了手想要抓一把金币下来,响亮的敲门声把他惊醒了。原来是旅馆老板来通知他午夜已到。

"And are my companions ready?" asked the marionette.

"我的朋友们准备好了吗?"小木偶问。

"Better than that! They left two hours ago."

"早准备好咯!他们两小时前就走啦。"

"Why were they in such a hurry?"

"怎么这么着急啊?"

"Because the Cat received word that his father was very sick with frosted feet and that he was in danger of losing his life."

"很不幸,猫收到了封电报,说他父亲饱受冻疮折磨,就快没命了。他甚至都来不及跟你说再见呢。"

"And they paid for the supper?"

"他们付晚餐钱了吗?"

"What do you think those people are? They are too highly educated to insult a gentleman as good as you are."

"这种事情他们怎么做得出来呢?那二位可是极有涵养的人,不可能冒犯像您这样好的绅士。

"Oh, yes! That affront would have displeased me very much," said Pinocchio, hastily. Then he asked the landlord, "Did they say where I should meet them?"

"那是,我还巴不得他们这样冒犯我呢。"匹诺曹急忙说。"哦,对了,他们有没有说去要在哪里和他们见面。"匹诺曹问店主

"At the Field of Wonders, tomorrow morning at daybreak."

"在奇迹之地,明天一早日出时分见。"

Pinocchio paid a gold piece for his supper and that of his companions, and then departed. He groped his way along, because outside the inn it was so dark that he could not see anything. It was very quiet and not even a leaf stirred. Some birds flying along the road struck Pinocchio on the nose with their wings. He jumped back and cried out with fear. "Who goes there?" The echo of the surrounding hills took up his words and repeated, "Who goes there?" "Who goes there?" "Who goes there?"

匹诺曹给了老板一个金币结清了三个人的晚餐,踏上了去往奇迹之地的致富之路。

他就这么一直走啊走啊,也不知道去向何方,因为天实在太黑了,黑得简直伸手不见五指,四周安静得连一片飘动的树叶都能听到。几只蝙蝠时不时地掠过他的鼻尖,他往后一退,吓得大叫起来。:"谁在那儿?"只有远处的群山用回音应道:"谁在那儿?谁在那儿?谁在……"

As he walked on, he saw on the trunk of a tree a little creature that shone with a pale opaque light, just like a candle behind a globe of transparent porcelain.

走着走着,匹诺曹忽然注意到一个树桩上有个小小的昆虫,发出淡淡的不透明的光,就像一个透明瓷球后面点着一根蜡烛。

"Who are you?" asked Pinocchio.

"你是谁呀?"匹诺曹问。

"I am the Spirit of the Talking Cricket," it replied, with a little voice that seemed to come from another world.

"我是会说话的蟋蟀的幽灵呀。"小东西答道,他的声音是那么微弱,听上去仿佛是从遥远的另一个世界传来一般。

"What do you want with me?"

"你想怎么样?"

"I wish to warn you. Go back, with your four gold pieces that you have left, to your Papa, who cries and thinks he shall never see you again."

"我就想给你几句忠告罢了。回家吧,把你剩下的四个金币交给你那可怜的老爸,他好多天都没有见到你了,现在哭得正伤心呢,以为再也见不到你了。"

"Tomorrow my Papa will be a very rich man, because these four pieces will become two thousand."

"我老爸明天就会变成有钱人了,因为这四个金币会变出两千个来的。"

"Do not trust those who promise to make you rich in one night, my boy. Usually they are mad or deceitful. Listen to me and go back.""I want to go on."

"承诺让你一夜暴富的人的话不能听啊,我的孩子。他们要么就是傻子,要么就是骗子,听我的话,快回家吧。" "可我想继续走!"

"The hour is late."

"已经很晚了!"

"I want to go on."

"我就想继续走。"

"The night is dark."

"夜色太黑啦。"

"I want to go on."

"我就想继续走。"

"The road is dangerous."

"路上很危险。"

"I want to go on."

"我就想继续走。"

"Remember that boys who always do what they want to will sooner or later repent."

"The same old story! Good night, Cricket."

"记住,太任性的孩子迟早要吃苦头的。"

"还是那老一套,晚安,蟋蟀。"

"Good night, and may you escape from the assassins!''

"晚安,匹诺曹,愿你免遭杀祸之灾。"

The Talking Cricket had hardly said these words when he suddenly disappeared just as if someone had blown the light out, and the road was darker than ever.

会说话的蟋蟀刚说完这句话,那点微光就消失了,好像有人把灯突然吹灭了,道路比之前更黑了。

单词、短语应用

put on:

①穿、戴、涂、抹;

He put on his coat, scarf and went out.

(他穿上大衣,戴上围巾就出门了。)

I haven't even put any lipstick on yet.

(我甚至连口红都没有抹。)

②上演、举办;

Air China is putting on an extra flight to Beijing during the Spring Festival.

(中国航空公司春节期间将增加一班到北京的航班。)

The band is expected to put on a Chinese show before the end of the year.

(那个乐队有望年底之前在中国演出。)

③开动(设备、装置等);

I put on the radio to listen English.

(我打开了收音机听英语。)

I put on some music while I ate.

(我边吃东西边听音乐。)

④提高…的成本;

The measure could put 1yuan on per kilogram of meat.

(这项措施会使每公斤猪肉涨价一元。)

Can smokers complain if more tax is put on cigarettes?

(如果对香烟增税,吸烟者会抱怨吗?)

⑤增加(体重)。

I can eat what I want but I never put on weight.

(我能想吃什么就吃什么,但是体重从来不增加。)

He has put on four kilos since he quit smoking.

(他戒烟以来体重已增加了四公斤。)


分享到:


相關文章: