賈伯斯送給畢業生的人生寄語

2005年夏天,史蒂夫·喬布斯受邀在斯坦福大學的第114屆畢業典禮上發表演講。

這位在大學裡僅僅六個月就選擇退學的商業巨擘,在這所全世界最頂尖的大學,向一群即將走向各行各業的最優秀的大學生,講述了自己人生中的三個故事以及他收穫的人生體會。

這也成為了有史以來最為經典,也最受歡迎的畢業演講之一。

1.Connecting the dots 連接事物

喬布斯送給畢業生的人生寄語

  • Drop out: 退出,退學
  • Figure it out: 弄明白,搞清楚
  • Work out: 解決,實現

After six months, I couldn't see the value in it.

六個月後,我實在看不出這個書讀得有什麼價值。

I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life and no idea how college was going to help me figure it out.

我不知道我的人生該做什麼,也不知道讀大學能怎麼幫我找到這個答案。

And here I was spending all of the money my parents had saved their entire life. So I decided to drop out and trust that it would all work out OK.

父母為了我能讀大學已經花光了他們所有的積蓄,所以我決定退學,並且相信船到橋頭自然直。

It was pretty scary at the time, but looking back it was one of the best decisions I ever made.

當時這個決定看上去非常可怕,但現在看來,這是我做過最正確的決定之一。

喬布斯送給畢業生的人生寄語

  • Calligraphy: 書法
  • Stumble into: 無意中捲入,偶爾走入

The minute I dropped out I could stop taking the required classes that didn't interest me, and begin dropping in on the ones that looked interesting.

從退學的那一刻起,我再也不用去上我一點興趣也沒有的必修課程,而是把時間花在那些感興趣的課上。

And much of what I stumbled into by following my curiosity and intuition turned out to be priceless later on.

那些僅憑藉好奇心和直覺去做的事情,最後看來卻都成為了無價之寶。

Reed College at that time offered perhaps the best calligraphy instruction in the country. Because I had dropped out and didn't have to take the normal classes, I decided to take a calligraphy class to learn how to do this.

裡德學院有著當時可能是全國最好的書法課。退學後我不再需要去上那些規定課程,所以,我決定去學一學書法。

喬布斯送給畢業生的人生寄語

  • Practical application: 實際用處
  • It comes to me: 我突然想起來
  • Drop in: 加入,參加

None of this had even a hope of any practical application in my life.

我從來沒想過這些東西能對我的人生產生什麼實際作用。

But ten years later, when we were designing the first Macintosh computer, it all came back to me.

但是十年之後,當我在設計第一臺Macintosh電腦時,那些當年沒用的東西全都派上了用場。

We designed it all into the Mac. It was the first computer with beautiful typography.

我們把它設計在了Mac中。那是世界上第一臺有漂亮字體的電腦。

If I had never dropped in on that single course in college, the Mac would have never had multiple typefaces or proportionally spaced fonts.

如果當年我沒有上過那堂書法課,那麼Mac絕對不會有如今的多重字體和變間距字體。

And since Windows just copied the Mac, its likely that no personal computer would have them.

加上Windows一直在抄襲Mac,所以也可以說如果我沒上那堂書法課,很有可能全世界的電腦都不會有這些東西。

喬布斯送給畢業生的人生寄語

  • Dots: 點(文中指人生中發生的每一件事)
  • Connect the dots: 連點成線
  • Look forward: 向前看
  • Look backward: 回顧

Of course, it was impossible to connect the dots looking forward when I was in college.

當然,那時的我絕對沒辦法把這些點點滴滴預先聯繫在一起。

But it was very, very clear looking backwards ten years later.

但是,十年後再回顧起來,一切都非常地清楚。

Again, you can't connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backwards.

我再說一次,沒有辦法提前將這些事情聯繫在一起,你只能在事後回顧時才恍然大悟。

So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future.

所以,你需要相信那些發生在你身上的一點一滴,它們一定會在未來對你有所幫助。

2.Love and loss 愛與失去

喬布斯送給畢業生的人生寄語

  • Start Apple: 創建蘋果公司
  • Get fired: 被解僱

I was lucky. I found what I loved to do early in life. Woz and I started Apple in my parents garage when I was 20.

我很幸運,很早的時候就找到了我熱愛的事情。20歲的時候,我和Woz在我爸媽的車庫裡開始了蘋果公司的事業。

We worked hard, and in 10 years Apple had grown from just the two of us in a garage into a $2 billion company with over 4000 employees.

我們拼命工作,十年後,蘋果從車庫裡的兩個小夥子成長為四千多員工,市值20億的公司。

We had just released our finest creation - the Macintosh - a year earlier, and I had just turned 30. And then I got fired.

就在一年前我們剛剛推出了最棒的產品Macintosh,我剛踏入三十歲的門檻的時候,我被蘋果解僱了。

喬布斯送給畢業生的人生寄語

  • Diverge: 分歧,偏離
  • Have a falling out: 鬧翻,爭吵
  • Side with somebody: 支持,站在某人的一邊

How can you get fired from a company you started?

一個人怎麼可能會被自己創建的公司解僱?

Well, as Apple grew we hired someone who I thought was very talented to run the company with me, and for the first year or so things went well.

蘋果公司逐漸成長的時候,我們請來以為我認為非常有才能的人來和我一起經營公司,第一年,一切都很順利。

But then our visions of the future began to diverge and eventually we had a falling out. When we did, our Board of Directors sided with him.

但是後來我們對未來的構想開始出現分歧,最終鬧翻,那個時候,董事會站在了他那邊。

  • Be out: 出局
  • Let somebody down: 使某人失望
  • Drop the baton: 弄掉了接力棒

So at 30 I was out. And very publicly out. What had been the focus of my entire adult life was gone, and it was devastating.

30歲的時候,我出局了。公司非常公開地把我請了出去。那個曾是我整個成年生活重心的東西不見了,這對我來說是毀滅性的打擊。

I really didn't know what to do for a few months.

好幾個月,我都不知道我該做什麼。

I felt that I had let the previous generation of entrepreneurs down —— that I had dropped the baton as it was being passed to me.

我覺得我讓企業界的前輩們失望——我把他們傳給我的接力棒弄掉了。

I was a very public failure, and I even thought about running away from the valley.

我成為了失敗的公開範例,甚至想過離開硅谷。

喬布斯送給畢業生的人生寄語

  • Dawn on: 開始理解,漸漸明白
  • Start over: 重新開始,從頭來過

But something slowly began to dawn on me. I still loved what I did.

但是慢慢地我開始意識到,我還是熱愛著曾經做過的事情。

The turn of events at Apple had not changed that one bit.

在蘋果發生的事情並沒有改變這一點。

I had been rejected, but I was still in love. And so I decided to start over.

我被否定了,但是我仍然熱愛它。所以我決定從頭來過。

During the next five years, I started a company named NeXT, another company named Pixar, and fell in love with an amazing woman who would become my wife.

之後的五年,我成立了NeXT公司,皮克斯公司,並和我未來的妻子相戀了。

I'm pretty sure none of this would have happened if I hadn't been fired from Apple.

我很確定,如果當年蘋果沒有開除我,這些事情一件也不會發生。

It was awful tasting medicine, but I guess the patient needed it.

這帖藥真的很苦口,但也真正地治好了病。

3.Death 死亡

喬布斯送給畢業生的人生寄語

  • Fall away: 消失,離開
  • Have something to lose: 害怕失去

Remembering that I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I've ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life.

提醒自己快死了,是我人生中每次做出重大決定時的最重要的方法。

Because almost everything —— all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure —— these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important.

因為幾乎所有的事情——所有外在的期望,所有的名譽,所有對窘境和失敗的畏懼——所有的這些東西都會在死亡面前消解,留下來的只有真正重要的東西。

Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose.

提醒自己你註定一死,是避免害怕失去的最好方法。

You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.

你原本就是一無所有的,沒有任何理由不順心而為。

喬布斯送給畢業生的人生寄語

  • Be trapped by: 被困住,陷入困境
  • Drown out: 淹沒,壓過

Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life.

你的時間有限,不要浪費時間活在別人的生活裡。

Don't be trapped by dogma, which is living with the results of other people's thinking.

不要被教條所困,那就是生活在別人思維裡的結果。

Don't let the noise of other's opinions drown out your own inner voice.

不要讓其他人的意見淹沒了你自己內心的聲音。

And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

最重要的,要有勇氣追隨自己的內心和直覺,它們知道你真正想要什麼。其它的事物都是次要。

喬布斯送給畢業生的人生寄語

  • Farewell:再見
  • Sign off: 停止活動,停止廣播

When I was young, there was an amazing publication called The Whole Earth Catalog, which was one of the bibles of my generation.

在我年輕的時候,有一本很棒的雜誌叫做The Whole Earth Catalog,我們那一代都很迷這本雜誌。

On the back cover of their final issue was a photograph of an early morning country road. Beneath it were the words: "Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish."

在最後一期的封底,有一張照片,拍的是清晨的鄉村小路,照片下方寫著一排字:求知若飢,虛心若愚。

It was their farewell message as they signed off.

這是他們停刊的告別訊息。

And I have always wished that for myself.

我經常以此自許。

And now, as you graduate to begin anew, I wish that for you.

現在,你們畢業了,開啟新的生活,我也以此期許你們。

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.

求知若飢,虛心若愚。

喬布斯送給畢業生的人生寄語


分享到:


相關文章: