You couldn't wait to throw that in. 你總算逮著機會說教啦。


You couldn't wait to throw that in. 你總算逮著機會說教啦。



Reverend: Gabrielle! What brings you down here?

加布麗爾,你怎麼來了?

Reverend: Oh, sweet mother of god, what have you done this time?

老天爺,這次你又造了什麼孽?

Mother of God n.聖母瑪利亞

Sweet Mother of God! 這是表示感慨的一種常用說法,相當於說“聖母呀!或者“老天啊”

Reverend: You're pregnant?

你懷孕了?


Gabrielle: Yes. And its impossible, I'm on the pill-which you probably think is a sin, but it works. It's a 99.9% effective sin.

是的,是的,這事根本不可能的, 我一直在吃避孕藥。也許你會認為這是一種犯罪,但這藥

效果很好的。這可是百分之99.9%的有效犯罪呀。

Reverend: Maybe it's in that one tenth of a percent that god resides.

也許在那0.1%中有上帝的旨意呢。

reside vi. 居住;屬於;存在

Gabrielle: You couldn't wait to throw that in, could you? Look, god is screwing with me! He doesn't like the way I live my life, so he's punishing me.

你總算逮著機會說教了,是吧?上帝和我耍著玩呢。他看不慣我的生活方式,所以他要懲罰我。


couldn't wait to do 迫不及待做某事

throw sth. in

(1)奉送,額外贈送

You can have the piano for $200, and I 'll throw in the stool as well.

你花200元買走這架鋼琴,另外贈送這張琴凳。

(2)加插評語


Reverend: Have you done something that would warrant being punished?

那你有沒有做什麼會遭報應的事呢?

warrant vt. 擔保;保證;辯解;授權

screw v. 用螺絲擰緊;扭曲(某人的面孔);〈俚〉佔便宜,詐騙

Reverend: The gardener? I thought that was over.

那個園丁(女主的婚外情人)?我以為那事已經結束了


Gabrielle: No, it was-and then...you just had to be there. But, my point is, that I'll be an awful mother. I'm selfish and I'm self-centred. And the only person more self-centred than me is Carlos! I mean, he's so self-centred that he doesn't even know how self-centred I am! We'd be terrible parents!

是結束了,然後,你意會吧,我也說不清,我想說的是,我肯定會是個糟糕的母親,我又自私又自我中心。唯一一個比我還自我中心的人就是卡洛斯。他太自我中心了以至於都未曾意識到我這麼自我中心。我們肯定是一對糟糕的父母親。

No, it was-and then...you just had to be there.女主由於懷孕感到憂心忡忡,一個是她根本就不想生,還有更擔心的是孩子可能不是她老公而是情人的。

You just had to be there. 用了過去時表虛擬,你又不在那兒(指女主的生活中),我沒法說和你清楚,女主生活太複雜又戲劇化,女主承認自己犯下的過錯,但又覺得錯不在自己。所以這裡意譯:你意會吧,我也說不清。

Reverend: Gabrielle, I'd like to help, but I'm not sure what you want.

加布麗爾,我很想幫忙,但我不知道你到底要怎麼樣?


Gabrielle:It's just...I wanna know who to be angry at.

我只是不知道該生誰的氣?


Reverend: Here's a thought.Don't be angry. Be thankful. Children are a gift, are they not?


不如這麼想吧,別生氣,感恩吧,孩子可是上帝的禮物,不是嗎?


Gabrielle: I don't have time for this crap. I have a party to plan.

我沒時間聽你廢話,我還有個派對要籌劃。


分享到:


相關文章: