You couldn't wait to throw that in. 你总算逮着机会说教啦。


You couldn't wait to throw that in. 你总算逮着机会说教啦。



Reverend: Gabrielle! What brings you down here?

加布丽尔,你怎么来了?

Reverend: Oh, sweet mother of god, what have you done this time?

老天爷,这次你又造了什么孽?

Mother of God n.圣母玛利亚

Sweet Mother of God! 这是表示感慨的一种常用说法,相当于说“圣母呀!或者“老天啊”

Reverend: You're pregnant?

你怀孕了?


Gabrielle: Yes. And its impossible, I'm on the pill-which you probably think is a sin, but it works. It's a 99.9% effective sin.

是的,是的,这事根本不可能的, 我一直在吃避孕药。也许你会认为这是一种犯罪,但这药

效果很好的。这可是百分之99.9%的有效犯罪呀。

Reverend: Maybe it's in that one tenth of a percent that god resides.

也许在那0.1%中有上帝的旨意呢。

reside vi. 居住;属于;存在

Gabrielle: You couldn't wait to throw that in, could you? Look, god is screwing with me! He doesn't like the way I live my life, so he's punishing me.

你总算逮着机会说教了,是吧?上帝和我耍着玩呢。他看不惯我的生活方式,所以他要惩罚我。


couldn't wait to do 迫不及待做某事

throw sth. in

(1)奉送,额外赠送

You can have the piano for $200, and I 'll throw in the stool as well.

你花200元买走这架钢琴,另外赠送这张琴凳。

(2)加插评语


Reverend: Have you done something that would warrant being punished?

那你有没有做什么会遭报应的事呢?

warrant vt. 担保;保证;辩解;授权

screw v. 用螺丝拧紧;扭曲(某人的面孔);〈俚〉占便宜,诈骗

Reverend: The gardener? I thought that was over.

那个园丁(女主的婚外情人)?我以为那事已经结束了


Gabrielle: No, it was-and then...you just had to be there. But, my point is, that I'll be an awful mother. I'm selfish and I'm self-centred. And the only person more self-centred than me is Carlos! I mean, he's so self-centred that he doesn't even know how self-centred I am! We'd be terrible parents!

是结束了,然后,你意会吧,我也说不清,我想说的是,我肯定会是个糟糕的母亲,我又自私又自我中心。唯一一个比我还自我中心的人就是卡洛斯。他太自我中心了以至于都未曾意识到我这么自我中心。我们肯定是一对糟糕的父母亲。

No, it was-and then...you just had to be there.女主由于怀孕感到忧心忡忡,一个是她根本就不想生,还有更担心的是孩子可能不是她老公而是情人的。

You just had to be there. 用了过去时表虚拟,你又不在那儿(指女主的生活中),我没法说和你清楚,女主生活太复杂又戏剧化,女主承认自己犯下的过错,但又觉得错不在自己。所以这里意译:你意会吧,我也说不清。

Reverend: Gabrielle, I'd like to help, but I'm not sure what you want.

加布丽尔,我很想帮忙,但我不知道你到底要怎么样?


Gabrielle:It's just...I wanna know who to be angry at.

我只是不知道该生谁的气?


Reverend: Here's a thought.Don't be angry. Be thankful. Children are a gift, are they not?


不如这么想吧,别生气,感恩吧,孩子可是上帝的礼物,不是吗?


Gabrielle: I don't have time for this crap. I have a party to plan.

我没时间听你废话,我还有个派对要筹划。


分享到:


相關文章: