I've got the biggest ad in the phone book广告在黄页上很显眼

口语学习:

1.She decided to stop poking around in your life.

她决定不再亲自刺探你的生活

2.I've got the biggest ad(=advertisement) in the phone book.

我的广告在黄页上很显眼。

3.Run. Pack up your kid and get out of town.

跑,带上你的孩子走人。

4.That's tricky.那不好办。

5.He can be pretty insistent.

他非常固执。

6.Well, I can throw her off the scent for a while.

我可以暂时引开她的注意。

7.Well, I'm going to need a cheque.

给我开张支票吧。(付钱吧)



Paul: Susan Mayer hired you?!

苏珊梅尔雇了你?!

PI: I know. She decided to stop poking around in your life and called me of all people. Lucky for you I've got the biggest ad in the phone book.

她决定不再亲自刺探你的生活却偏偏挑中我(从广告上找私家侦探),你真走运,我的广告在黄页上很显眼。(这男的的是私家侦探,广告登在显眼的位置,所以Susan 刚好找到他)

Paul: What am I going to do?

我该怎么办?

PI: Run. Pack up your kid and get out of town.

跑,带上你的孩子走人。

Paul: That's tricky. My son doesn't want to move. He can be pretty insistent.

那不好办。我儿子不想走,他非常固执。

tricky adj. 狡猾的;(形势、工作等)复杂的;机警的;微妙的

PI: Well, I can throw her off the scent for a while.

我可以暂时引开她的注意。

scent n.气味;香味;线索 off表离开

throw sb. off the scent使失去线索,转移追踪方向,使某人找不到

Paul: Fine.行。

PI: Alright then. Tell me exactly what it is you want this woman to believe.

那好。告诉我你想让她以为是怎么回事。

PI: She was born Angela. But when she was a teenager she changed her name to Mary Alice. Now on her application it says that she was named after a relative that she no longer speaks to. Now,here's her birth certificate and her Utah petition for a legal name change.

她本名是安吉拉,不过她十几岁时把名字改成了玛丽.爱丽丝。申请表上记着她的名字是照着一个亲戚的名字取的,但跟那个亲戚绝交了。这是她的出生证明,还有她在犹他州依法改名的申请。

petition n.请愿书; 申诉书; 申请书

Susan: What about Dana?

丹娜是怎么回事?

PI: There was a record of another child. A girl, Dana Marie Young. She died at 18 months, apparently in some kind of a fall.

记录显示有另一个孩子,名叫丹娜.玛丽.杨的女孩,一岁半是死了,显然是摔死的。

Susan: It was all true. Everything he said. How could I have been so wrong?

他说的都是真的。我怎么错得这么离谱?

PI: Well, I'm going to need a cheque.

给我开张支票吧。(付钱吧)

Susan: Oh, of course.当然。

Susan: Actually, before you go I need you to check into someone else's background. There's this plumber I know?

事实上,趁你还在这儿, 我需要你帮我调查另一个人得背景。就是我认识的这个水管工。