口語對話第八十五期:使某人的心涼了半截

第一,迷你對話

A: If you had followed your father's suit, you would certainly cool your grandpa's ardor.

如果你像你父親那樣,你的爺爺會傷透心的。

B: I can't do that. I can't see eye to eye with my father's ideology.

我不會那樣做的。對於父親的思想,我不能苟同。

A: It's great you haven't cooled your grandpa's ardor to keep on the family's tradition.

幸好你沒有繼承你家裡的傳統,讓爺爺傷心。

B: And I am not be cut out for writing. I can't tear myself away from it. It's a lot of fun.

我沒有寫作的天賦,但是我卻捨不得放棄。

第二,地道表達

cool someone's heart

1. 解詞釋義

Cool someone's heart的意思是:使某人的心涼了半截,傷某人的心。

2. 拓展範例

e.g. If the news should come to the old man's ears, it would cool his heart.

如果這個老人聽到這個消息,他會心涼的。

e.g. If your Miss Bertram doesn't like to cool her heart, let her not hear about what is about Henry.

要是貝特倫小姐不想傷心,就別讓她聽到亨利的事情。

第三,語彙積累

1. follow one's suit:照別人的方式去做,跟著做,學樣

e.g. You take the lead and we'll follow suit.

你帶頭,我們跟著幹。

e.g. He went to bed and she followed suit after a few minutes.

他上床睡覺了,幾分鐘後她也上床睡覺了。

2. see eye to eye with:和......意見相同

e.g. Though we don't quite see eye to eye with each other on this, our thinking is very close.

對於這件事情,雖然我們的意見不完全一致,但是我們的想法卻是非常接近的。

e.g. He may not see eye to eye with me, but he's no call to insult me in that way.

他儘可以不同意我的意見,但他沒有資格那樣侮辱我。

3. keep on:繼續

e.g. You and I keep on attending to trifles instead of what's important.

咱們兩個人只管注意些小事情就算了,不管大事情。

e.g. I'm glad you began at once, and hope you will keep on.

你們立刻開始行動了,我真高興。希望你們能持之以恆。

4. be cut out for :適合於......,與......相配

e.g. Peter and Susan seem to be cut out for each other.

彼得和蘇珊似乎是天生的一對。

e.g. Sally and Michael seem to be cut out for each other.

薩莉和邁克爾看起來很相配。

e.g. I wasn't cut out for living in Florida. It was too hot.

我不適合住在佛羅里達。那裡太熱了。

e.g. I'm really cut out for this work.

我確實能勝任這份工作。

e.g. John is squeamish, so he's not cut out for being a doctor.

John容易嘔吐,所以他不適合當醫生。

5. tear oneself away from:捨得離開

e.g. I found it hard to tear myself away from my new friends.

我對朋友們戀戀不捨。

e.g. The villagers could hardly tear themselves away from the departing Red Army men.

鄉親們送紅軍, 真是難捨難分。

e.g. She could not tear herself away from the book.

她對那本書愛不釋手。

e.g. He could not tear himself away from the scene.

他捨不得離開那片景色。


分享到:


相關文章: