蘋果CEO庫克,2019斯坦福大學畢業典禮演講


蘋果CEO庫克,2019斯坦福大學畢業典禮演講

Stanford University

斯坦福大學

Please join me and welcoming Tim Cook.

請與我一道歡迎蒂姆·庫克。

Thank you, thank you.

謝謝,謝謝。

Good morning, Class of 2019!

2019屆畢業生們,早上好!

Thank you, President Tessier Lavigne, for that very generous introduction.

感謝特希爾•拉維尼校長非常隆重的介紹。

I'll do my best to earn it.

我會全力以赴做好這次演講。

Before I begin, I want to recognize everyone whose hard work made this celebration possible, including the groundskeepers, ushers, volunteers and crew.

在演講開始之前,我想對為舉辦這次盛會努力工作的人們表示肯定,包括場地人員、招待員、志願者以及全體工作人員。

Thank you.

謝謝你們。

I am deeply honored and frankly a little astonished to be invited to join you for this most meaningful of occasions.

能受到邀請參加這次意義重大的典禮,我深感榮幸同時也受寵若驚。

Graduates, this is your day.

畢業生們,今天是你們的日子。

But you didn't get here alone.

但你們可不是在孤軍奮戰來到這裡的。

Family and friends, teachers, mentors, loved ones, and, of course, your parents, all worked together to make you possible and they share your joy today.

家庭、朋友、老師、導師、親人,當然還有父母,是你與他們的共同努力成就了現在的你,而今,正是他們分享你喜悅之時。

Here on Father's Day, let's give the dads in particular a round of applause.

今日正值父親節,讓我們給爸爸們獻上熱烈的掌聲。

Stanford is near to my heart, not least because I live just a mile and a half from here.

我對斯坦福十分了解,可不只是因為我家就離這裡僅僅1.5英里。

Of course, if my accent hasn't given it away, for the first part of my life I had to admire this place from a distance.

當然,如果我的口音還沒暴露我的家鄉的話,那我要告訴你們,那時我要從遙遠的地方來仰慕這所學校。

I went to school on the other side of the country, at Auburn University, in the heart of landlocked eastern Alabama.

我是去美國的那一邊上的大學,奧本大學,位於阿拉巴馬州內陸東部的中心地帶。

You may not know this, but I was on the sailing team all four years.

或許你們不知道,我在學校帆船隊呆了整整四年。

It wasn't easy.

這可不輕鬆。

Back then, the closest marina was a three-hour drive away.

當時離學校最近的碼頭得開三小時的車才能到。

For practice, most of the time we had to wait for a heavy rainstorm to flood the football field.

為了練習,我們會常常等待著一場傾盆大雨把足球場給淹了。

And tying knots is hard!

而且給繩子打結也不輕鬆!

Who knew?

你們知道吧?

Yet somehow, against all odds, we managed to beat Stanford every time.

可不知道為什麼,我們總會克服困難,次次打敗斯坦福。

We must have gotten lucky with the wind.

當時我們一定是靠著風才走運的。

Kidding aside, I know the real reason I'm here, and I don't take it lightly.

玩笑先擱一邊,我知道此行的目的,而且也十分重視。

Stanford and Silicon Valley's roots are woven together.

斯坦福和硅谷同根同源。

We're part of the same ecosystem.

我們在同一個生態系統中。

It was true when Steve stood on this stage 14 years ago, it's true today, and, presumably, it'll be true for a while longer still.

喬布斯14年前站在這裡的時候就情況就是如此,而如今依舊,或許以後相當長的一段時間情況會一直持續。

The past few decades have lifted us together.

過去的幾十年中,我們齊頭並進。

But today we gather at a moment that demands some reflection.

今天我們聚在一起,應該有所反思。

Fueled by caffeine and code, optimism and idealism, conviction and creativity, generations of Stanford graduates (and dropouts) have used technology to remake our society.

在咖啡因和代碼、樂觀主義和理想主義、信念與創造力的推動下,一代又一代的斯坦福人(包括肄業生)利用技術重塑了我們的社會。

But I think you would agree that, lately, the results haven't been neat or straightforward.

但我覺得大家都會同意,最近的成果並不出眾,也不直觀。

In just the four years that you've been here at the Farm, things feel like they have taken a sharp turn.

就在你們讀大學的這四年,形式已然大變。

Crisis has tempered optimism.

危機遏制了樂觀。

Consequences have challenged idealism.

結果衝擊了理想。

And reality has shaken blind faith.

而盲目的信仰已被現實動搖。

And yet we are all still drawn here for good reason, big dreams live here, as do the genius and passion to make them real.

可我們依舊慕名而來,因為偉大的夢想在這裡孕育,在天才與激情的催生下變為現實。

In an age of cynicism, this place still believes that the human capacity to solve problems is boundless.

在這個玩世不恭的時代,斯坦福依舊相信人類解決問題的能力是無窮盡的。

But so, it seems, is our potential to create them.

但是,似乎這些問題是我們自己製造的。

That's what I'm interested in talking about today.

這也是我今天想談的話題。

Because if I've learned one thing, it's that technology doesn't change who we are, it magnifies who we are, the good and the bad.

因為我發現技術不會改變我們是誰,只會放大我們,放大好的一面以及壞的一面。

Our problem–in technology, in politics, wherever–are human problems. From the Garden of Eden to today, it's our humanity that got us into this mess, and it's our humanity that's going to have to get us out.

無論是技術還是政治層面,不管是什麼問題,我們的問題,是人性的問題。從伊甸園時代至今,是人性讓我們誤入歧途,同時也將是人性讓我們從中解救。

First things first, here's a plain fact.

首先,事實顯而易見。

Silicon Valley is responsible for some of the most revolutionary inventions in modern history.

現代社會的最具革命性的創新,有很大一部分是出自硅谷。

From the first oscillator built in the Hewlett-Packard garage to the iPhones that I know you're holding in your hands.

從成立惠普公司的車庫裡誕生的第一個振盪器,到我們手中拿著的蘋果手機。

Social media, shareable video, snaps and stories that connect half the people on Earth.

社交媒體平臺、視頻分享、快照和動態將地球上半數的人聯繫在了一起。

They all trace their roots to Stanford's backyard.

尋根溯源,這些成果都包含著斯坦福的影子。

But lately, it seems, this industry is becoming better known for a less noble innovation: the belief that you can claim credit without accepting responsibility.

可最近,這一產業似乎因為在創新上差強人意,而眾所周知:他們似乎認為現在可以居功自傲,而不必承擔責任。

We see it every day now, with every data breach, every privacy violation, every blind eye turned to hate speech, fake news poisoning our national conversation.

如今每天都在上演,在每一次數據洩露、隱私侵犯,冷眼旁觀成為仇恨言論,虛假的新聞汙染了國內論調。

The false promise of miracles in exchange for a single drop of your blood.

一滴血就能換取虛假的花裡胡哨的承諾。

Too many seem to think that good intentions excuse away harmful outcomes.

許多人認為善意可以成為惡果的藉口。

But whether you like it or not, what you build and what you create define who you are.

可不管你是否喜歡,你所構建的、創造的決定了你是誰。

It feels a bit crazy that anyone should have to say this.

似乎對任何人這麼定義有點過分。

But if you've built a chaos factory, you can't dodge responsibility for the chaos.

可如果一個人開辦的工廠混亂不堪,那他無法逃避,要對它負責。

Taking responsibility means having the courage to think things through.

負責意味著要有勇氣把事情想清楚。

And there are few areas where this is more important than privacy.

而且沒有什麼領域比隱私權更為重要。

If we accept as normal and unavoidable that everything in our lives can be aggregated, sold, or even leaked in the event of a hack, then we lose so much more than data.

如果我們接受所有一切被黑客收集,販賣,甚至是洩漏,或者說這不可避免,那我們損失的遠不止數據而已。

We lose the freedom to be human.

我們將失去作為人類的自由。

Think about what's at stake.

思考一下這其中的風險。

Everything you write, everything you say, every topic of curiosity, every stray thought, every impulsive purchase, every moment of frustration or weakness, every gripe or complaint, every secret shared in confidence.

你寫的每件事、說的每句話、每一個好奇的話題、以及各種想法,每一次購買的衝動、每一刻的挫敗與脆弱、每一次的牢騷或抱怨,每一次自以為的秘密分享。

In a world without digital privacy, even if you have done nothing wrong other than think differently, you begin to censor yourself.

在一個沒有數字隱私的時代,即使沒有做錯任何事,僅僅是想法不同,你都會開始審視自己。

Not entirely at first.

一開始並不是全盤審視。

Just a little, bit by bit.

僅僅是一小部分,之後一點一點變多。

To risk less, to hope less, to imagine less, to dare less, to create less, to try less, to talk less, to think less.

最終會減少冒險、減少希望、不去想象、不再大膽、不再創新、嘗試變少了、交流變少了、思考也變少了。

The chilling effect of digital surveillance is profound, and it touches everything.

數字監控的負面影響是深遠的,猶如冰霜,影響著一切。

What a small, unimaginative world we would end up with.

那我們最終的世界將會多麼微小又無趣。

Not entirely at first.

這並非一蹴而就。

Just a little, bit by bit.

只是一點一點,循序增加。

Ironically, it's the kind of environment that would have stopped Silicon Valley before it had even gotten started.

諷刺的是,在這樣的環境下,硅谷還沒有發展起來,可能就已經消亡了。

We deserve better.

我們應該更好。

You deserve better.

你也應該更好。

If we believe that freedom means an environment where great ideas can take root, where they can grow and be nurtured without fear of irrational restrictions or burdens, then it's our duty to change course, because your generation ought to have the same freedom to shape the future as the generation that came before.

如果我們相信自由就是一片能讓我們的偉大思想生根發芽的熱土,在這片熱土中,偉大思想得到發展,擺脫不合理的限制與負擔而得到孕育,我們有責任改變前進的方向,因為你們這一代有同樣的自由來改造未來,就像我們這一代所做的那樣。

Graduates, at the very least, learn from these mistakes.

畢業生們,我們至少要從這些錯誤中吸取教訓。

If you want to take credit, first learn to take responsibility.

若想取得讚譽,先要學會負責。

Now, a lot of you–the vast majority–won't find yourselves in tech at all.

如今,你們大多數的人都不會投入到技術領域。

That's as it should be.

這很正常。

We need your minds at work far and wide, because our challenges are great, and they can't be solved by any single industry.

我們所需要的是各位在工作中富有遠見與廣博的思想,因為我們的挑戰十分巨大,而且也不能單靠一種產業也來解決。

No matter where you go, no matter what you do, I know you will be ambitious.

無論你走向何方,無論你從事何職,我相信你們必然胸懷大志。

You wouldn't be here today if you weren't.

若非如此,你們也不會來到這裡。

Match that ambition with humility–a humility of purpose.

讓雄心與一種對於目標的謙遜相得益彰。

That doesn't mean being tamer, being smaller, being less in what you do.

這可不是讓你畏首畏尾,讓你渺小,讓你在工作中減少投入。

It's the opposite, it's about serving something greater.

恰恰相反,這正是為了服務於更偉大的事業。

The author Madeleine L'Engle wrote, "Humility is throwing oneself away in complete concentration on something or someone else." In other words, whatever you do with your life, be a builder.

作家麥德琳·蘭歌曾說過,“謙遜就是將自己完全奉獻給一件事或者一個人。”換言之,不管你做什麼,一定要做一個建設者。

You don't have to start from scratch to build something monumental.

你大可不必一開始就想構建一些里程碑式的東西。

And, conversely, the best founders–the ones whose creations last and whose reputations grow rather than shrink with passing time–they spend most of their time building, piece by piece.

而且,事實恰好相反,那些最出色的發明人,他們的發明流傳後世,聲譽流芳千古,可他們大部分的時間都是一名建設者,點點滴滴完成從事的工作。

Builders are comfortable in the belief that their life's work will one day be bigger than them–bigger than any one person.

建設者們一想到自己奉獻的工作將比他們自身還要偉大,將比任何一個人類還要偉大時,他們便十分欣慰。

They're mindful that its effects will span generations.

他們知道自己的事業將會影響幾代人。

That's not an accident.

這並非是無足輕重的小事。

In a way, it's the whole point.

從某種程度上來講,這才是重點。

In a few days we will mark the 50th anniversary of the riots at Stonewall.

再過幾天,將是“石牆動亂”的五十週年紀念日。

When the patrons of the Stonewall Inn showed up that night–people of all races, gay and transgender, young and old–they had no idea what history had in store for them.

那天晚上,當石牆酒吧的老主顧光臨時,這些人種各異,性取向不同,年齡不同的人們根本不知道歷史為他們準備了什麼。

It would have seemed foolish to dream it.

他們當時想這些,可能會覺得自己愚蠢至極。

When the door was busted open by police, it was not the knock of opportunity or the call of destiny.

當警察破門而入時,既不是偶然的檢查,也不是命運的召喚。

It was just another instance of the world telling them that they ought to feel worthless for being different.

這只是一個例子,那時全世界都在說,他們應該為自己的與眾不同而感到羞愧。

But the group gathered there felt something strengthen in them.

但是,聚集在那裡的人群,感覺自己身上某擁有某些力量。

A conviction that they deserved something better than the shadows, and better than oblivion.

他們具有某種信念,相比活在陰影下被埋沒應該得到更好的對待。

And if it wasn't going to be given, then they were going to have to build it themselves.

如果這種待遇不能被給予,那他們就會靠自己來構建,來爭取。

I was 8 years old and a thousand miles away when Stonewall happened.

當“石牆事件”發生時,我只是一個8歲的男孩,距那裡也有1千英里。

There were no news alerts, no way for photos to go viral, no mechanism for a kid on the Gulf Coast to hear these unlikely heroes tell their stories.

當時沒有新聞,也沒有照片四處傳播,墨西哥灣沿岸的一個孩子沒有渠道聽到這些機會渺茫的英雄們講述他們的故事。

Greenwich Village may as well have been a different planet, though I can tell you that the slurs and hatreds were the same.

格林威治村可能也是一個不同的地方,雖然我會說,仇恨和誹謗和其他的地方也一樣沒什麼不同。

What I would not know, for a long time, was what I owed to a group of people I never knew in a place I'd never been.

長久以來,我竟不知道,我對從未踏足的地方的那些素不相識的人群怎樣表達我的感謝。

Yet I will never stop being grateful for what they had the courage to build.

但我始終對他們勇敢的建設表達出我的感激。

Graduates, being a builder is about believing that you cannot possibly be the greatest cause on this Earth, because you aren't built to last.

畢業生們,成為一名建設者需要意識到,你不可能成為這個地球上取得最偉大成就的人,因為你不會建設到最後。

It's about making peace with the fact that you won't be there for the end of the story.

你需要接受這樣的事實:故事的結尾不會有你的存在。

That brings me to my last bit of advice.

這引出了我最後的一點建議。

Fourteen years ago, Steve stood on this stage and told your predecessors: "Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life."

14年前,喬布斯站在這個講臺告訴你們的學長,“你們的時間是有限的,不要浪費時間,活成別人的樣子。”

Here's my corollary: "Your mentors may leave you prepared, but they can't leave you ready." When Steve got sick, I had hardwired my thinking to the belief that he would get better.

這就是我的結論:“你的導師會讓你們去準備,但他不可能讓你們準備好。”喬布斯得病時,我覺得他一定會好起來。

I not only thought he would hold on, I was convinced, down to my core, that he'd still be guiding Apple long after I, myself, was gone.

我不但相信他會挺住,而且我內心深處堅信,他將始終領導蘋果公司,即便在我退休之後。

Then, one day, he called me over to his house and told me that it wasn't going to be that way.

然後有一天,他把我叫去他的家裡,告訴我事情並不是我想的那樣。

Even then, I was convinced he would stay on as chairman that he'd step back from the day to day but always be there as a sounding board.

即便是那個時候我依然堅信,他會留在領導崗位上他雖漸漸地退居後方,但也以顧問身份參與公司事務。

But there was no reason to believe that I never should have thought it.

可無論如何我也不能相信,我也從未想到過。

The facts were all there.

因為一切都在。

And when he was gone, truly gone, I learned the real, visceral difference between preparation and readiness.

但,當他走了,真的走了的時候,我體會到了,準備和準備好兩者的本質區別。

It was the loneliest I've ever felt in my life by an order of magnitude.

我體會到了生命中從未有過的孤獨感,一種巨大數量級的孤獨感。

It was one of those moments where you can be surrounded by people, yet you don't really see, hear or even feel them.

那個時刻雖然周圍眾人環繞,但你看不到、也聽不到,甚至感覺不到他們的存在。

But I could sense their expectations.

然而我感受到了他們的期望。

When the dust settled, all I knew was that I was going to have to be the best version of myself that I could be.

當塵埃落定,我知道我必須朝著我能達到的最佳方向邁進。

I knew that if you got out of bed every morning and set your watch by what other people expect or demand, it'll drive you crazy.

如果你每天早上起床,要根據他人的期望與要求安排自己的日程,那會使你發瘋的。

So what was true then is true now.

當時的真理,同樣適用於當下。

Don't waste your time living someone else's life.

不要把時間浪費在學著活成別人。

Don't try to emulate the people who came before you to the exclusion of everything else, contorting into a shape that doesn't fit.

不要全身心的去模仿先輩,而無暇顧及其他,把自己限制在不合適的境地。

It takes too much mental effort–effort that should be dedicated to creating and building.

這會浪費你太多的精力,而你的精力應該放到創新與建設中去。

You'll waste precious time trying to rewire your every thought, and, in the mean time, you won't be fooling anybody.

你的寶貴時間將浪費在構思每種思想上,與此同時,除自己之外,不會有人被愚弄。

Graduates, the fact is, when your time comes, and it will, you'll never be ready.

畢業生們,你們的時代終將來臨,可那時你們永遠不會做好準備,這就是事實。

But you're not supposed to be.

但是,你們不該如此。

Find the hope in the unexpected.

在不確定中找尋希望。

Find the courage in the challenge.

在挑戰中獲得勇氣。

Find your vision on the solitary road.

在孤獨的道路上找到自己的方向。

Don't get distracted.

毋需迷茫。

There are too many people who want credit without responsibility.

有太多的人想要得到讚譽,卻不想負起責任。

Too many who show up for the ribbon cutting without building anything worth a damn.

太多的人出現在剪綵的時刻,卻沒有貢獻任何有價值的工作。

Be different.

要變得與眾不同。

Leave something worthy.

要留下有價值的東西。

And always remember that you can't take it with you.

永遠記住這是拿不走的。

You're going to have to pass it on.

你需要把它傳遞下去。

Thank you very much.

非常感謝。

And Congratulations to the Class of 2019!

祝2019屆畢業生順利畢業!


分享到:


相關文章: