接著上期,今天繼續學習Joanna為你精選的美劇英語口語~
1.Avery says freeze out Madison.
艾弗瑞說讓麥迪遜停職
freeze out 原本指“凍結,凍死”,這裡指“ (用冷淡態度,通過不友好行為或聯合抵制等) 逐出,排擠, 逼走某人”
The others tried to freeze me out of the conversation.
其他人企圖將我排擠在談話之外。
In capitalist society, big enterprises always try to freeze out the smaller ones.
在資本主義社會,大企業總是千方百計地排擠小企業。
2.If we're gonna do business off the books
如果我們要做些拿不上臺面的交易
美劇當中的book都內涵豐富,之前學了不少book“書本”以外的含義,這裡book是“賬簿,帳冊”,off the book 指“黑市的;不入賬的”
off the book deal 黑市交易
off the book loan 賬外借款
off-the-book income 灰色收入
We consider off-the-book income as illegal.
我們認為灰色收入是違法的。
3.He's been onto you for months.
他已經注意你幾個月了
介詞onto”在...之上“在這裡譯作“發現(某人做壞事);對…覺察;對…知悉”
If someone is onto you, they have discovered that you are doing something illegal or wrong.
I had told people what he had been doing, so now the police were onto him.
我已將他的所作所為告訴了別人,因此現在警方正在追查他。
I'm onto his schemes.
我覺察到了他的陰謀詭計。
4.Flip him on Reed
讓他吧裡德供出來
flip表示“ 擲。輕擊,彈,翻轉”的動作,flip on sb 指背叛某人,相當於betray
They want me to flip on my best friend.
他們想讓我背叛我最好的朋友。
5.You're Avery's new "Rainmaker"
你是艾弗瑞請的新的軍師
rainmaker, 造雨人,美式俚語比喻(通過商定交易、吸引客戶或資金為公司獲利的)商界能人,能呼風喚雨的高手,善於遊說者
Rainmaker is to describe an executive who is very successful in bringing in business to his company or firm
The rainmaker asked the government to make it easier for a two-man shop to fire someone if things go wrong.
那名遊說高手希望政府讓解僱流程更簡單,就像一個兩人商鋪其中一員犯了錯誤要解僱掉他這樣的例子。
喜歡這篇文章的朋友,歡迎收藏轉發和關注我頭條號“Joanna有範英語”, 更多幹貨等著你,我們下期再見
閱讀更多 Joanna有範英語 的文章