Lynette已經生了四個娃了,在四十多歲的高齡又懷了雙胞胎,她在醫院產檢的時候遇到一位年輕的新手準媽媽……(畫下部分簡直是真理,可惜我當初年少無知,當了笑話聽。。。)
-Woman: Hon, could you get me a glass of water, please?
親愛的,幫我拿杯水吧。
-Man: you got it.
沒問題。
-Woman: Thanks.
謝謝。
-Woman: It's our first.
我們的第一胎。(對Lyenette說的)
-Lynette: Yeah, I got that.
看出來了。
-Woman: How about you?
你呢?
-Lynette: Four at home, two on the way.
on the way: 即將到來
生了四個,懷了兩個。
-Woman: Oh, big family. You're so blessed. I just can't imagine anything better than being a mommy.
blessed: 被祝福 imagine: 想象better than: 多過,優於
大家庭啊。真幸福。我很難想象世界上有什麼比做媽媽更幸福了。
-Lynette: Really?
是嗎?
-Woman: I mean, I know it's a lot of work, But luckily my husband plans to be really hands-on.
plan to: 計劃… hands-on: 親自動手,親自參加的
當然,我知道很辛苦。幸運的是,我先生會全力協助。
-Lynette: Yeah. That's not gonna happen.
是的。那是不可能的。
-Woman: Pardon?
pardon: 原諒【一般是I beg your pardon(對不起,請再說一遍)的簡單表達】
什麼?
-Lynette: Oh, he'll be there at first, Maybe even change a diaper or two until the novelty wears off.
at first: 起初 diaper: 尿布novelty: 新奇,新鮮的事物wear off: 逐漸減弱,逐漸消失
開始他會幫你。也許換一兩片尿布什麼的,新鮮勁很快就過了。
But those 4:00 a.m. feeding, he said he'd help out with? Forget it.
feed: 喂help out: 幫助解決困難
至於凌晨四點幫忙餵奶,你還是別指望了。
-Woman: Oh, you don't know my Johnny. He's different.
你不認識我老公Johnny,他不一樣。
-Lynette: Does he have boobs?
boob: (俚)女性的乳房
他有乳房嗎?
-Woman: No.
沒有。
-Lynette: Then you're the only bar in town. That baby can scream into a bullhorn, and Johnny won't budge.
bar: 酒吧【這裡用在“鎮裡唯一的酒吧”來比喻“只有你才能給baby 喂”奶】
scream: 尖聲叫bullhorn: 帶放大器的擴音器(鳴音器) budge: (略為)挪動,微微移動
那隻能你自己來。你孩子朝嬰兒監控器大哭,而強尼動都懶得動。
-Woman: O-okay. Thanks.
是…是嗎?謝謝。
-Lynette: I'm not done. You see this? You'll never wear a bikini again.
我還沒說完。看到了嗎?你再也穿不了比基尼了。
-Woman: But you've had four kids, And you look good.
可你生了四個孩子。你現在身材也不錯啊。
-Lynette: You haven't seen me naked.
naked: 裸體的,無裝飾的
你還沒見過我不穿衣服。
My stomach looks like Spanish stucco.
stomach: 胃,【腹部】Spanish: 西班牙stucco: 灰泥
我的小腹就像坨西班牙灰泥。
And my breasts resemble two balloons,
breasts: 胸脯,乳房resemble: 相似,類似,像balloon: 氣球
而我的乳房就像
you'd find behind the couch a week after the party.
couch: 睡椅party: 聚會
丟在沙發後一週的漏氣氣球。
-Woman: Most women say this is the greatest experience of their life.
experience: 經歷,經驗
大多數女人都說這是她們畢生最棒的經歷。
-Lynette: Most women are liars.
liars: 說謊者
大多數女人都是騙子。
My mother was liar, and her mother was a liar, and your mother is a liar.
liar: 說謊者
我母親騙了我,因為她母親騙了她,而你母親也騙了你。
It's a lie every generation tells the next, so they can get grandchildren.
generation: 代,一代 grandchildren: 孫兒女們
這是代代相傳的謊話,這樣她們就能有孫子了。
-Woman: Please stop talking to me.
請別再說了。
-Lynette: No, you need to hear this. You have to be prepared.
prepared: 準備好的
不,你得聽著。這樣才能做好萬全準備。
Your children will hit you and steal from your purse.
hit: 打,打擊steal: 偷purse: 錢包
你的孩子會打你,還會偷你的錢。
Your husband will begin to buy your birthday presents at the car wash.
car wash: 洗車處【這裡的意思是你的丈夫只會在洗車的時候隨手給你買份禮物】
你丈夫隨便買份生日禮物打發你
And the kicker…for the rest of your life,
kicker: 橄欖球隊中的踢球人【這裡引申“更大的,隱藏的困難”】
更要命的是,你的餘生。
there will be so many moments when you feel lonely, but you will never be alone.
moment: 時刻 lonely: 孤獨的(心靈上的) alone: 單獨的,獨自一人的
常常感到孤單寂寞,但別妄想得到一刻安寧
閱讀更多 靜語微瀾 的文章